Chapter XXVIII

The room was cold, although not as cold as whatever sewer system them had us walking through earlier. The three men before me were regal looking, to be sure, but so disgustingly pale, I didn't know what to think of them. I must've missed the part of the trip where Alice had said that the Cullens knew these creeps because the only one with an actual expression on his face was greeting Edward, Bella, and Alice like he had known them their entire lives. Clearly, my sister traveled to Italy in her spare time.

"And who is this?" he questioned, gliding towards me. His skin looked like papyrus paper, crinkly and rough. His eyes were ruby red, more so than that parasite in the forest. His chin was small, his features child-like, but he was anything but a child. "You brought another human?" His hair fell below his shoulders, brushed back perfectly. He eyed me with adolescent curiosity.

"This is Bella's sister, Ryanne" Edward said, although he had yet to take his eyes off the little blonde. She had joined someone that stood near the thrones. I could only assume they were siblings with the similarities in their features.

Upon the other two thrones sat two beings, just as ancient as the one before me. One was blond, his features distinctly younger than those of his companions and yet, there was something sharp about his eyes. He was obviously a kill you and suck you dry, ask question later kind of vampire. It was the one on my far left that interested me the most. His hair was not as long as the man before me, nor did he look as strong as either of the two. But there was something about him that looked exhausted, as if he couldn't wait to end his existence. I could think of a few people back home who would be willing to take of him without question. Hell, all he had to do was step foot on Quileute land.

"She's a very curious one," the man before me said in his delighted voice. "And is she of some importance?" he asked, taking a step towards me. I backed away, my heart screaming for me to run; my head reminding me I was in a room full of vampires. "She has spirit," he laughed, turning his attention to the men behind me.

"Marcus, Caius, look; it's Bella and Alice," he said delighted. Alice motioned me towards her, away from the outskirts of our little huddle. I just wanted to get home and get to Jake. "Well, Edward, are't you happy I didn't grant your request?"

"Yes, Aro; I am," Edward replied woodenly. Aro?

"How you can stand to be so near her; she smells so delicious. And to have smelled her through your thoughts," Aro trailed off. His gaze came to settle on me. "And this one; she smells so strange and yet, she has me longing for a bite." I stepped back again. I just wanted to get home! "How you and your family manage such a strict diet! I greatly admire Carlisle for that."

"It is not without its difficulties," Edward said quietly.

"Isabella," he said, coming closer to my sister. I swallowed, afraid of what I might see. We were the only two humans in this room. "Edward has told me that you are immuned to his gift, but I wonder if it would be so with me as well." Bella looked up at Edward.

"Aro's power is much like my own, but stronger. Aro can read any thought a person has had in their entire life with just a touch," Edward explained. I folded my arms around my chest, wishing I had one of Jake's sweatshirts to hide on.

"Ah, but to be able to read without the contact would be much more impressive," Aro said.

"And limiting," Edward reminded him.

Aro held one of his delicate hands out to Bella. My sister looked at Edward, who nodded. I watched her slip her little hand into Aro's, almost laughing when their skin colors were the same. Aro laughed, the sound like nails on a chalkboard to my ear. I cringed and tried to find somewhere to hide. But there was nothing I could do; no one I could actually trust. "I have never in all my years met someone I could not read. And this one," he said, smoothly gesturing to me. "Is she also immuned?"