Chapter Six

The day of the wedding finally arrived, but it wasn't a joyous day. Rosamaria was in a terrible mood, despite Ginny's best efforts.

"Lord Knightly has been very gracious in allowing you to marry him, Rosamaria," Ginny fixed her sisters dress and sniffled. She wiped her wet cheeks and smiled. "He will give us both a good home and safety."

"I just don't see why I have to be the one to marry." Rosamaria clutched the flowers before her. She shook her head, frowning. "I never imagined this to be my wedding."

"It's our only chance unless you want to be living out on the streets. With mother and father gone-"Ginny choked on her own words. She forced a watery smile. "We just have to be strong."

Before Rosamaria had a chance to object, one of the lady's maids appointed by Lord Knightly to assist them peeked inside, "Is Lady Rosamaria ready?"

"Yes." Ginny responded for her sister.

Rosamaria let herself be led from the room and down the quiet, spectator-less church aisle. Ginny moved to take her place beside her sister as the priest opened his book. He read through the vows before each asking them if they would take the other's hand in marriage.

"Do you take Lord Stephen Knightly to be your lawfully wedded husband?" The priest asked Rosamaria for a second time. It was clear he was growing impatient.

Ginny looked to her sister, trying to give her a look of comfort, but her sister looked completely terrified. Rosamaria shook her head, "I can't. I'm sorry."

Ginny watched her sister run from the room, her white skirts floating about her as she fled. Ginny looked at the irritated priest and pleaded to him, "Let me talk to her. I'm sure she is simply nervous."

"Be quick." He snapped. "I haven't got all day. Other weddings must take place. You have five minutes to get your sister back in here."

She nodded her thanks to the priest before hurrying after her sister. Rosamaria was hiding behind the doors, looking horrified. She grabbed Ginny's arms, "You don't expect me to marry that cold, vile man, do you?!"

Ginny looked at her in shock. What was going on with her sister? Why was she acting this way? She had been perfectly fine with Lord Knightly's company before. Now she could hardly stand to be around the man.

"Do you wish to be destitute?" Ginny asked. "Please be reasonable Rosamaria-"

"No. You listen to me." Her sister growled, her fingers biting into Ginny's flesh. "I'm done making sacrifices for this family, or what's left of it. Now it's your turn."

"What do you mean?" Ginny asked, not catching on to her sister's suggestion.

"You marry Lord Knightly."

"What?! Be he hasn't asked me! He asked you, Rosamaria!" Ginny exclaimed. "Besides, you have to marry in order for your soon-to-be-husband to get father's fortune."

"The letter said the husband of one of his daughters. That implies it could be either of us." Rosamaria handed her the flowers.

"But I-" Ginny didn't have time to object before her sister was nearly dragging her down the aisle.

Rosamaria dumped her at the foot of the priest, "My sister wishes to take my place at this wedding. If Lord Knightly accepts it."

"I have no objections." Lord Knightly looked indifferent. In fact, he looked quite bored. He turned to the priest. "May we get on with this now?"

The priest nodded and had them repeat their vows before asking Ginny the fated question. "Do you take Lord Stephen Knightly to be your lawfully wedded husband?"

Ginny nodded her head but no words came out. She didn't really want to marry this man, but she didn't have a choice.  She had to do this if her sister would not.  It would benefit both of them if she got married.

Besides, her parents death was her fault. She had told them to go on the trip.  The weight of their death was clouding over her, choking her with guilt and remorse. She needed to be responsible for once. She would do this for the good of her family.

"I-I do." Ginny said shakily, a small tear dripping from her eye.

The priest snapped his book shut, "By the power invested in me, I now pronounce you husband and wife."

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved