fourteen: halloween

Chapter Fourteen

"Hey Remus." 

The shaggy-haired boy glanced up as Brooklyn set her books and things down on the library table and took a seat opposite him, being careful not to make any noise. It was quite late, and there were only a few students lingering around, trying to get their work done. Every now and then, Madam Pince would look up sharply, her beady eyes scanning the room for any potential troublemakers. 

"Hey Brook." Remus returned her warm smile as he set down his quill, leaning back and cracking his fingers after hours of writing. Brooklyn leaned forward slightly to study the dark shadows under his eyes and his pale skin, her gaze filled with concern. "How're you holding up? Are you feeling okay?" Full moon was in two nights, and she was feeling pretty worried for them, especially Remus. Ever since she'd found out the secret a month ago, she'd promised herself that she'd check up on him constantly, making sure he was okay. 

He shrugged. "I'm alright, I guess. Just a little tired, but I'm used to it. As long as I have the other boys with me, I'll be fine." 

She nodded, feeling slightly more relieved. "That's good. They really keep you anchored, huh?" 

"Yeah." Remus chuckled a little, shaking his head. "They might be idiots, but they're the best friends anyone could ever ask for." His gaze flickered down to her half-empty parchment, raising an eyebrow. "You're still working on that essay?" 

She nodded, sighing. "I swear, Transfiguration will be the death of me. Don't get me wrong, I love McGonagall and all, but I can never seem to get the hang of this bloody subject. Charms and DADA are more of my forte." 

He furrowed his eyebrows. "Wait, isn't James your partner?"

She grimaced. "Yeah, unfortunately. Why?" 

"Well, he's pretty great at Transfiguration. You know, with the whole 'illegal animagus' thing. Why don't you ask him for help?" 

Brooklyn bit her lip, her heart skipping. She'd spent all day determinedly not thinking about James Potter, and now, one mention of his name was enough to bring her out of focus. She was having trouble concentrating on anything. Maybe the girls were right. Maybe she really did like— no. Not possible. It was probably just nothing. The weird feeling would go away soon, she was sure. 

Looking up nonchalantly, she managed a small smile. "Nah, it's fine, I can just get help from Lily if I need anything. Thanks anyways." 

"No problem," he shrugged, not noticing her sudden jumpiness. "Anyways, have you got your costume ready for tomorrow yet?" 

Tomorrow was Halloween, and as a Hogwarts tradition, all the students would dress up in costumes and do whatever they wanted to do for the whole day, seeing as there wouldn't be any lessons. Usually, most of them would either head down to Hogsmeade or just pig out in the Great Hall. 

Brooklyn nodded, grinning. "Yeah, just got it yesterday. I was originally going to be a pirate, but Lily completely vetoed the idea. She absolutely refused to let me." 

"How come?"
"See, for the past three years, the girls have been trying to get me to wear a costume that involves a dress. They threatened to lock me in the room tomorrow if I didn't give in." 

He snickered, causing her to raise her eyebrows at him questioningly. 

"What? Something funny?" 

Remus shook his head, although his honey-coloured eyes were still lit up with amusement. "Nothing, it's just....er... James is going as a pirate. Isn't that a coincidence?" He teased.