Chapter Seven

Ginny swayed in the coach, placing her hand on the seat to keep herself steady. She eyed the stoic man across from her that was now her husband. It felt like she was living some sort of nightmare that she couldn't wake up from. She glanced over at her sister who was looking quite smug at having gotten out of the prospect of marrying Lord Knightly.

After the ceremony and signing the marriage papers, Ginny and Rosamaria returned to their own home to quickly pack what few things they owned before setting out again to Lord Knightly's residence, which was much larger and intimidating than their own.

Ginny broke away from her thoughts when the coach suddenly lurched to a stop, nearly throwing her across the small space. Lord Knightly caught her by the shoulder, a frown crossing his face.

He clambered out and helped Rosamaria and her outside, "You shall both get to live here as promised."

"Thank you, Lord Knightly." Ginny nodded to him and smiled.

He ignored her and turned on his heel to leave with Rosamaria trailing after him. Ginny was left to gather her and her sister's bags. The driver tilted his hat to her, "Good day Lady Knightly."

"Thank you sir." She replied as he drove off, leaving her on the cold streets.

Ginny lugged the bags up to the house and left them by the door for the maid. Rosamaria was already peeking around the house and rummaging through things. She looked at Ginny and smirked, "You married the right man, Ginny dear. This house is gigantic!"

Ginny crossed her arms, "And none of it is yours to touch or take, Rosamaria."

Rosamaria rolled her eyes at that, but she didn't say anything else when Lord Knightly stepped into the hall. He gestured to them both, "Come. I will show you to your rooms."

Ginny reluctantly followed her husband up the stairs with Rosamaria at her heels. He pointed to the door immediately on the right, "This is for Rosamaria. You may change it accordingly to your tastes if you wish."

He lead Ginny further down the hallway and pointed to another door, "And this is your room. My room is just across the hallway if you need anything."

"Thank you, Lord Knightly." She said.

"Ginny, you can drop the formalities." He said. "We're married now. Stephen will do fine."

"Oh." Was all she could say. She shifted on her feet awkwardly. "Dinner...?"

"My servants will bring a tray to your room. It's getting too late and I'm sure you both want to rest." He crossed his arms.

"Very well then." Ginny nodded and slipped inside her room.

She locked herself inside the dark room and took a deep breath. Tonight was going to be a long night.

She had just settled down onto the soft bed when a small knock sounded on Ginny's door and a small head peeked in. A little maid with bright red hair and dashing green red stepped into the room, "Good evenin' Lady Knightly. Oi've brought yer supper up."

"Oh, you can leave it on the table there, I guess." Ginny replied awkwardly. "And you can address me as Ginny. We're about the same age, so it feels odd to have you calling me a lady."

"That'd be very improper m'lady." She replied.

"What is your name?" Ginny inquired, taking a seat at the table.

"Kitty." The maid answered. She turned to go. "Oi'll  let ye eat in peace and come back to dress ye fer bed."

Ginny smiled at the girl. Perhaps her time here wouldn't be as terrible as she thought. She hoped Kitty would be her friend in this lonely household.

〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰〰

Stephen slipped into his room, letting out a breath of relief. The idea of him being a married man now was stressful. He now had two women he had to look out for underneath his household. And one of them was his wife. A wife he couldn't touch, let alone be near. She was terrified of him. He could see it in her eyes. Ginny didn't like him.

Stephen pulled off his heavy jacket and winter clothing before slipping underneath the warm bed covers. His thoughts drifted back to Ginny who was probably sleeping peacefully across the hallway unlike him. He could understand as to why she didn't like him. He was stern and closed off. The military had done that to him. If you were going to fight in wars like that...you couldn't have a soft heart. Yet, he still had wished he had been married because he loved his wife...not because she was some poor girl who had become destitute after her parents had died. But he couldn't deny being a little richer than before was a positive outcome in this whole situation.

After an hour of tossing and turning, Stephen clambered out of bed and slipped downstairs to the kitchen for a glass of water. He stopped in the doorway when he saw Ginny standing there holding a jug of milk. She nearly dropped the glass in fear when she saw him. After fumbling for a moment, she set the jug and glass safely on the counter.

"Lord Knightly...I mean...Stephen. You frightened me." she bowed her head to look at her feet, dark curls tumbling over her shoulders.

Stephen swallowed the lump in his throat. Why did she have to look so beautiful and innocent? "I did not mean to frighten you."

"I should have asked to get some milk. I apologize for not doing so but...I couldn't sleep." she looked up at him with troubled blue eyes.

"You do not need to ask," he said coming closer to her. He reached around her for another glass. "What is mine is yours to use as well."

"Oh." she scrunched her shoulders up at his nearness.

He poured himself a glass of milk, still studying her. He didn't know this woman who was his wife, but he wanted to know her. She was intriguing and mysterious. Like a new book that had never been opened and read.

"I should go. Goodnight, Stephen," she ducked around him and scurried back to the safety of her room.

Stephen sighed and set down his glass. Would this be all this marriage ever would be? Them always avoiding each other? Perhaps it was for the best.

Copyright © 2016 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved

Hey Wattpad readers! Remember to vote and/or comment after reading a chapter! I want to hear your thoughts :)

-Rosanna