A Chance

"Oween!!" Jessica shrieked with excitement. Her little five year old legs ran down the rocky path by the Raptor Paddock.

It has been about a year since the two met.

 Jessica's long beautiful dirty blonde hair flowed behind her as she ran. Her body finally had some meat inside. No longer was her ribs and collarbones popping out from being starved. She had a healthy glow on her. Her hazel eyes shined with happiness. She had a long sleeved shirt that was thin, and dark blue jeans on. 

Owen turned around and quickly caught the running five year old. He had a smile on his face as she yelled his name. For awhile, she would either never speak or call him Mr. Owen. It was when Jessica got to celebrate her birthday for the first time, she finally called him Owen or Oween.

"Hey Rabbit." He grinned then picked her up and placed her on his hip. In her hand was the same little bunny rabbit he won her. "What did you learn today?"

One of the workers on the Raptor Paddock made a deal with Owen. If He could get paid thirty more bucks and not work the night shift, then he would have little lessons with Jessica every other day for schooling.

"Mr. Brian taught me how to write my name!" Jessica squealed. "And I am learning my colors!"

"Wow, look at you big girl." Owen said, he was so happy. He saw her smile, which made his day every time. 

"Can we go see Blue?" Jessica asked. If she wasn't at her lessons or home, she was at the Raptor Paddock.  Owen nodded and  carried Jessica up the stairs so they stood above the paddock. 

Jessica wiggled herself out of his arms once they reached the catwalk. She ran to the center catwalk and saw the girls running around in the spacing. Blue, Charlie, Delta and Echo were running as they chased their dinner. Jessica wanted to go down and run with them. 

She tried sneaking in a few times while Owen was busy, but Barry caught her every time. He never mentioned it to Owen, because he didn't think Owen need this extra thing just yet.

"HI GUYS!" Jessica yelled and waved to the Raptors who just finished their dinner. All of them looked up and locked eyes of Jessica. The girls ran to the center to get closer and let out a playful roar. To this day, it amazed Owen. Jessica jumped up and down with excitement on the catwalk, then ran down the stairs to the gate. 

She was very fast for a small kid, and very good at run past you before you could grab her. By the time Owen got to the stairs, Jessica was already at the gate, sliding through the bars to go into the entryway. The girls all bolted to Jessica, making Barry and Owen move faster.

But when they got there, they couldn't believe their eyes.

Jessica was sitting at the gate of the Paddock, and The Raptors were lying listening to her babble. She was telling them about her day, and acting out her lesson with Mr. Brian using her little bunny as an actor. The Raptors kept their eyes on her the whole time. 

"Wow. That is amazing." A voice said behind Owen. His heart beat faster as His fist clenched. He turned to see Vic Hoskins. The man who was convinced that the Raptors should be used as a weapon once Trained. But now he was not only looking at His Raptors, but now his little girl.

"Who is that little one?" Vic said, but no one awnsered, they waited for Owen. "Hey Little girl, come on over for a sec."

Jessica looked at Blue and the others then sighed. "I'll be right back okay." She told them. Jessica got up, slid through the gate then ran to Owen's side. She held her Bunny closer to her side.

"What's your name pretty girl?" Hoskins asked as he crouched to her level. Jessica bit her lip and moved behind Owen's leg. "You can tell me, I won't bite."

"She doesn't want to talk to you." Owen growled. Hoskins stood up and looked at Owen dead in the eye. 

"She yours?" He asked, trying to be tuff.

"Yes." Owen said immediately. "Got a problem with that?" 

"No, no." Hoskins said, raising his hands in an innocent matter. But his smirked said otherwise. "You got an amazing girl there Grady. Don't loose her."

Vic Hoskins then walked away, with the threat echoing in Owen's head. After a year, After the whole bullshit of Angel, he thought he could catch a break.

But when does that happen?