Chapter Twenty-Seven

Eclipse stormed through the brush with Luna following silently after him.
"We're losing control! I just can't believe they would be so stupid! Those pups won't survive..."
Luna sighed and came up beside him when they reached a small clearing.
"We need to figure out how to make them survive. I've been thinking about this since we left. If Misty lost those pups..."
She hung her head and was silent for a moment. They both stopped to think and stare at the blank white forest all around them.
"How do you expect us to keep them alive?" Eclipse asked, "We only have four wolves to hunt for two pregnant females and their pups. You saw how hard it was to hunt the elk before."
"If you ambush them from both sides of the meadow again, then four wolves will be more than enough."
Eclipse looked her in the eye before quickly glancing away.
"Should we even let the pups live? Should we even try?" he muttered thoughtfully.
Luna narrowed her eyes and stared at him for a long time.
"It's not fair to the pups to punish them for their parents' mistakes. Besides, I understand where they're coming from. Love is a powerful thing... We're awfully hypocritical to judge."
Eclipse met her eyes.
"But we're Alphas. Pack law..."
Luna scowled and he went silent.
"I know pack law is important to you, but some laws are meant to be broken. We're not a normal pack, Eclipse. I've slowly realized that as time's gone by. We're basically a group of outcasts thrown together by chance."
She laughed quietly to herself. He looked up at her, confused.
"What are you laughing at?"
She shook her head and her laughter gradually subsided.
"Nothing. I just realized how stupid we are for taking our pack for granted. One different step, one misguided move... We never would have had each other, our friends, or..." she trailed off and smiled softly down at her abdomen.
Eclipse studied her face silently, his eyes dark and brooding. Then his gaze softened and he grinned sheepishly at her.
"I guess I did go a little overboard, didn't I? Heck, if Redwood and Maple hadn't stopped us I would've killed Timber. That's no way to treat a fellow pack member, especially if he was following his heart."
Luna offered him a small grin.
"And just think... in a couple months we'll be surrounded by little squirmy balls of fluff. If that won't brighten everyone's moods, I don't know what will. I'm sure that Misty will make a great mother. Her mind may be a bit scattered at times, but she's the most compassionate wolf I've ever met."
Eclipse nodded at that.
"Let's just figure out how to keep everyone alive until then. We still have winter storms to get through. I can only hope that the elk will stay through the snow. Otherwise I'm not sure what we'll do."
He stared off into the distance again. Luna frowned and nudged her head up under his chin. He sighed deeply and rested his head on top of hers.
"We'll make it through... I know we will. We just have to believe in ourselves and each other. We can't let our tempers flare anymore. We must work together to survive. I believe in our pack, and I believe in you."
He smiled and licked the top of her head.
"I believe in you, too."
She stepped away and grinned over at him.
"I suppose we should go apologize. Good leaders always show some humility," she said.
Eclipse huffed, but Luna knew he wouldn't argue anymore. He trusted her, and she trusted him.
"Okay fine," he muttered, "But if they try to kill anyone or take my place then I'm definitely putting my paw down!"
She smirked teasingly over at him.
"Shouldn't you be exiled for breaking pack law then, since you almost killed poor Timber?"
He rolled his shoulders back and put his head up proudly.
"I'm Alpha... I can do those types of things," he half-joked.
"Sure, Killer. I think the day when anyone tries to take your place is the day when our pups get your ego," she chuckled.
She nudged him with her shoulder and they both laughed lightheartedly. Then they turned and headed back towards the rest of their pack.