Chapter 19: Thank God For My Fear Of Heights

The Alpha coat always fascinated me ever since I was a little girl and saw my mother in her wolf form for the first time. Her sleek sandy coat covered her petite wolf form. It was the exact opposite of my father's large dark grey wolf with the black mark of an Alpha covering the tips of his ears.

I sauntered back to the lake where I had just been made Alpha female. I needed to spend a few moments alone with my wolf before I entered the Shadowlands and gave myself up to the hunters.

It could be a while before I would be able to let her out again. Tristan would never let me shift once I was captured. He knew the risk. I was too fast and hard to capture in wolf form. Who knew how long it would take for me to convince the other Alphas to allow Dante control of the packs? How long would it take Dante and the others to save us?

A light snow dusted the grass. I rolled around on the ground for a few more minutes before running off into the night. The moon would be disappearing into the morning sky and the sun would rise in just a couple hours.

I wasn't even sure what my plan was yet. I had to get caught by the hunters but I also needed to warn my pack that Dante was coming. The best way to get caught would be while trying to communicate with my pack members. I could get the message across to them about Dante being the new Alpha. The only bad part was I had to get by the men patrolling the borders.

All I needed to do was get close enough for the mind link to work.

My paws were carefully placed on the ground with every step when I got closer to the border of the Shadowlands. The stench of hunters hit my nose hard when I was about a mile away.

I kept my body low to the ground in a crouching position. I began to crawl through a fallen tree trunk. My heart beat wildly in my chest while I hid from one of the hunters. He stomped through the light snow causing crunching noises to echo through the woods.

"Here, doggy, doggy," a gruff voice called out.

My ears perked up at the sound of his voice. He sounded a little too close. How did he know I was here?

"Come out, come out wherever you are!"

If he wasn't so close and could hear me, I would have snorted at his stupidity; like I was really going to come out of hiding because he asked me to. I needed to get out of here without him noticing me.

'Arianna?'

'Logan!'

'How am I hearing you right now?'

'I am just inside the border. I am trying to get to you guys.'

'No, you shouldn't be here. You are going to get caught. What were you thinking?'

'I know it was stupid but I had to try.'

'What happened? Why aren't you here?'

'One of the hunters cornered me in a log. I don't know how to get out of this.'

'Don't worry. I will get the guys to create a distraction.'

'No, Logan!'

'Ari, don't worry. We are going to help you. As soon as he leaves run as fast as you can towards the pack house.'

'Thanks.'

I shifted in my position and crawled a little more forward. My nose was almost to the front of the log. His shoes were almost touching my wet black nose. If he stood a few feet directly back then he would have seen me staring out. He was too close. I wanted to laugh at his stupidity but I held it in.