Seven (part two)-I'm Not the Only One.

(JAXON SPEAKING)

(JAXON SPEAKING)

The image of Kellan's ring wrapped around her chest and tied me in knots. I felt like all the air had been sucked out of the room leaving me to gasp for breath like a fish out of water.

Jaxon... she said with a sweet sadness in her voice.

What did she want me to say? That I'm all right with her promising herself to Kellan? Yeah, well, I wasn't. She had already made that promise to me. She was supposed to be my match—not his.

The last thing I wanted to hear was, we're done. So, before Wren could say anything, I blurted out,I need some air and some time to think. Then I cut our connection.

Grabbing the key off the nightstand, I headed for the door. I flipped my hood up, stepped over the threshold and headed downstairs through the crowded room. A band was now playing on stage. I don't know what Travis said to get Jessica to agree to dance with him, but there they were dancing away.

Some ugly bloke got up and approached them as I walked by. "Can a guy cut in?" he asked Jessica.

I chuckled at the thick look of disgust plastered on her face—it was obvious what her answer was. Given my mood, I couldn't help jump in this conversation.

"She's already dancing with someone, right Jess?" I said, stopping next to her crossing my arms. "She clearly said yes to him, so why don't you get lost and leave them be. Three's a crowd."

Ugly dude narrowed his eyes and said, "Why don't you let the lady answer. I asked her not you."

"Jess?" I asked, still staring at the guy in front of me. "This nice man would like your answer."

"Like you said," she replied, wrapping her arms around Travis' neck, "I already have a dancing partner, thanks."

"See. There you have it. The lovely lady is already otherwise engaged."

The guy uttered something, threw his hands in the air and walked back to his stool. After he had taken his seat, I turned back to Jessica, but before I could say anything Dystan hollered at me as he walked up.

"Dougan, you're back!" He slapped my back and sloshing his ale onto the floor.

Dougan. Where he had dug up with that name for me, I'd never know. I rubbed my nose with the back of my hand. "I needed some air. The room upstairs is stuffy and smells like beer. I'm going for a walk." I pushed past them and headed for the exit.

Travis caught up to me at the door. "Hey, man. You okay? Want me to come?"

"No. Better keep an eye on Jessica, or we'll have bigger problems to worry about. Like that six-foot-something guy heading her way now."

"Damn, she's a handful, isn't she?" He gave me a broad smile, then bounced off to join her.

The cold air hit me the moment I stepped outside. When I exhaled, my breath lingered on the night air frozen and stiff. I didn't know where I was going. I didn't care. My head was spinning, it was so full of crap to deal with.