Chapter 85

**Maddie’s POV**

“Why?”

My voice is cold and empty. Snape half turns back towards me.

“Why what?” he sneers.

My wand is in my hand, burning to curse him.

“Why did you drag me into this?”

I’m shaking with anger that has been building up for about four weeks now. This has been my first chance to confront Snape alone and I’m taking it.

He gives a harsh laugh.

“I didn’t drag you into this,” he says, “I didn’t even suggest bringing you into this.”

“Well, you sure didn’t fight to keep me out of it,” I snarl. He turns back to face me, his eyes flashing dangerously. I feel a renewed surge of anger, followed by a tingling in my scalp that I know means my hair is turning red. I presume my eyes are going green. They tend to do that when I get as angry as I am now.

“I-” he stops, looking shocked.

“You what?” I hiss, raising my wand slowly. All the colour has faded from his face and I look over my shoulder, wondering if we’d been discovered. No one is there. When I turn back to Snape he is looking distinctly sick.

“I tried to convince them you would not be swayed,” he says through white lips, “Bellatrix being the charming creature she is, came up with the idea of threatening your family.”

I watch him carefully. He’s looking determinedly away from me. I frown, confused. Usually Snape is so confident and intimidating. Now he looks like a boy caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

“Well, how am I going to get out of this?” I ask.

“You won’t,” Snape tells his feet, “the Dark Lord has decided you are invaluable. The only way out is for you to die or to risk their safety.”

I run my fingers through my hair. A few loose strands come away in my fingers and float to the ground, the red standing out against the cold, grey stone.

“I will, however, tell the Order the situation to clear your name,” Snape says, observing the strands of hair.

“No,” I shake my head, “George would do something rash and stupid… At least for now, let them think I left.”

I have to try hard not to show how much I hate the idea of them thinking I’ve betrayed them. Snape looks up at me with a ghost in his eye.

“Tell me something,” he says, his voice barely more than a whisper, “your mother… Was it… Was she…”

“Lily Potter,” I say casually. Snape’s face suddenly twists and contorts with pain. I frown at him and open my mouth to ask- And then it hits me.

“You were in love with her?” I gasp. Snape takes a deep breath and draws himself up to his full height.

“And that’s why you joined Dumbledore!” I exclaim, everything falling into place, “because Voldemort killed her.”

Snape doesn’t reply and I can see pain smouldering down in his eyes.

I can’t imagine the pain of knowing the love of your life slept with your worst enemy.

Wait, that’s a lie. I know exactly how that feels.

“I have to report back to the Order,” Snape says stiffly, “if you speak of this to anyone, I will ensure Greyback visits all the Weasleys.”