C.4~ Everywhere I Go

I stood terrified in the middle of the hospital waiting room.

I could barely remember driving there. I had been trying to talk myself out of doing this the entire ride here, forcing myself to remember the torture Brice and I went through when were kids. 

"Miss Lowe?" The woman behind the desk said my name with just a hint of an accent, glancing around the room through her thick rimmed, black glasses. 

Dr. Phillips had requested I return just to get some blood work done this afternoon. Mom had been asked to come, but work called her in last minute and I'd been left to do it on my own. Not that I minded, if these tests would ensure Lily was healthy, I would have driven the next state over if necessary. 

"I see here that you need to head up to the Pediatric unit?" The woman was still staring down at my paperwork as she spoke.

As I nodded, I couldn't help but think about how strange this would appear to any of my classmates; nerdy Beatrice Lowe standing in a waiting room with a newborn.

"Yes." I answered through my dry throat, "I need to see the doctor about. . . about my daughter." 

Why did I just say that? What the hell is wrong with me?

Technically, Lily was my mom's daughter right now, she was the one that was willing to legally foster her for the next few months until my eighteenth birthday. 

"Okay. Well, I'll send you up then."

I felt a wave of relief wash over me as she printed a sticker with my name on it and offered it. I took it with a quiet thank you and nod before heading for the elevator. I set the carrier down for a moment, rubbing my palm. Mom hadn't been kidding when she said those things were heavy; the plastic doll and its carrier were definitely Childs play in comparison. I crouched down to touch the back of my hand to Lily's rosy cheek, smiling. Her small hand found my index finger and slowly curled around it, her lips smacking. I squeezed her little hand before rising to my feet and grabbing hold of the carrier again. 

"Beatrice?" My head whipped up at the familiar voice. I was immediately greeted with familiar hazel eyes, a warm, chocolate brown in the dim light of the Pediatric floor lobby. 

"Xavier?" I gasped, equally as shocked by his sudden appearance. He stood in an old leather jacket over a washed out band shirt and sweatpants, a worn stuffed bear in his right hand. He looked nothing like the intimidating, quiet loner that kept to himself. 

"What are you doing here?" He asked, realization dawning in his eyes when they fell on Lily in the carrier pressed against my hip. It was actually a little comforting, seeing him in such normal attire and without a permanent scowl plastered to his face. "So what do you plan to do with her? I'm assuming she's okay since you're carrying her around and all. But you can't possibly be thinking about keeping her. People will think she's yours."

"This coming from Xavier Morgan, the King of not giving a shit about what anyone thinks of him."

 The words slipped out before I could stop them, but they didn't anger Xavier, he actually looked rather amused by the response. "Fair enough. You know you don't have to do this though, Beatrice. She isn't your child. You're seventeen and trying to graduate high school."

"And she's an infant that could end up in an abusive household or thrown from one house to another. You wouldn't understand." Again, my filter seemed to be a dud today and the words escaped against my will. 

There was no way in hell I wanted Xavier Morgan of all people to know anything about my past.

"I understand just fine, Beatrice. I-"