EPIPHANY

Saturday 6th of February 2016

I woke from another memory so I wrote it down then added to the collection in the jar.

We were in the car going to the zoo, we saw all the animals and got dinner. I must have been four or five. I got food poisoning. Mum got called into an appointment she couldn't get out of the next day. Dad had a couple of days off so he helped me get better lying down next to me in bed reading me stories. Making me soup and doing my hair. I just got flashes, not really remembering anything else.

I check my phone, it's half nine and I had a text from Tyler and Colton.

Tyler: I'll be at yours at twelve. I smile and reply.

Me: Anyone would think it would be you who was going on this date. 

I check Colton's and it wasn't a quote but information about tonight.

Colton: Morning Gem, I'm going to pick you up at half four, I'll see you later.

My phone rang and I look down, Tyler is calling.

''It's date day!'' I get up and go over to my window laughing. ''Tyler chill out.'' I gaze away from the yellow sun to my flower Colton gave me and touch the petals.

''Do you know what time he's taking you out?''

''Yes, he's just text me and he said he's going to pick me up at half four.''

''Right, ok. That gives us enough time to get you ready. Go jump in the shower... I've got to go. Luke's calling, see you later girl.'' I was in the middle of saying bye when he hangs up and I lift my phone to my face in amusement, Tyler. I shake my head and get in the shower. Once I came back into my room I turn on my music and start dancing and jumping on my bed like a complete crazy person.

I turn to the direction of my bedroom door to see it wide open, mum stood there with Leo in her arms and she was grinning at me. The first grin I've seen on her face and I suddenly felt guilty as I stopped dancing.

''You're in a happy mood today.''

''Yeah... I have a date.'' I told her on instinct, not wanting her not to know as I turn my music off. ''Wow, that's good, Dawn.'' She says full of surprise.

I put my hands in my short pockets, gazing up at her from under my lashes, wondering what else she had to say, just because I'm mad at her at the moment, doesn't mean I don't want her to know. This is a special for me.

Leo is stretched over of mum's shoulder making me see his long body, he's going to be so tall, mum rub his back as he snored on her shoulder. She walks up to me slowly and raises her empty hand to my chin and lift my eyes to hers, ''Thank you for telling me, I'm glad you did.'' She says honestly, a soft smile appears on her face.

Then I got epiphany, why the hell am I fighting with my mum, she honestly didn't do anything wrong in a sense and I reached out and pulled her and Leo in my arms, ''I love you mum,'' I breath out, smelling her pear sent.

I hear her inhale a breath and wrap her empty warm arm around my back, ''I love you too, Dawson.'' And she lay a kiss on the top of my head, making me close my eyes in relief.

After a few moments she steps back, ''I got a voice message on my phone last night.'' Why is she telling me this, ''it was you head teacher?'' Oh.

I sit down on my bed, ''am I in trouble? Because what I did, I thought was right and stand by what I did.'' I run my hands down the side of my thighs looking out of the window.

Feeling mum move, she sits down next to me making me turn and take in her changing the way she positioned Leo to make them both more comfortable, she meets my eyes. ''No, you're not in trouble, the head wasn't the nicest person to listen too honestly, and I wanted you to tell me what happened.'' So it's not just the students who find Miss. Genso's horrible. I explain to her what happened.