Chapter 11 - Suit Up

Dedicated to NerdyNinja1 ~ The first of those throwing cookies at me to get me through NaNo. (She also has an amazing story called Turncoat, go check it ^.-)

---

Chapter 11 - Suit Up

---

Athira opened her eyes, finding her sight once more back in the room at Indigo’s base.

The room wasn’t as clean as it had been when her mind left it. The once spotless furniture was charred along the edges closest to her, as if fire had licked their forms. The carpet below her was scorched, something she didn’t take as a good sign.

That’s only happened once before. She bit her lip. And that was before I got the amulet.

She fingered Talon’s amulet on her chest, noting how warm the metal was as she stood up and went to leave the room. Her cloak was in the wall indent where clothes had been last time, sitting there neatly folded but she left it for the time being, too caught up with thought.

Maybe Reader did do something to it. Or the Elites. She looked down, staring at it as if it could solve her problem. Or... maybe it just isn’t enough anymore.

She shook her head, extending a hand towards the door and channelling her colour to the door via it, sliding it back into the wall. No. It was enough. Rathe just had a window to strike when she was without Talon before she got it back.

Athira left the room, closing the door behind her and started walking the way she’d come earlier, towards the common room. Whether she was going to head off with or without team Indigo, first she had to pull Shift from her mindscape.

She still couldn’t believe he’d risked everything to try and save her from Rathe’s grip in the mindscape. What were the chances that he’d found a memory still retaining some of her power? And then actually managed to stay alive to shift Rathe’s essence enough to drive him back? She contemplated asking Talon exactly what Shift and he had managed together while she was delirious but decided against it for now.

If he can shift Rathe’s power...

Athira found herself alone in the empty common room except for the silence. She looked around, sticking her head in the kitchen with increased worry. If she didn’t find Shift soon, she wasn’t sure how much of him she could pull out of the mindscape.

As she was about to start walking through walls until she found him, a blonde head poked around the corner, humming to herself and interested in a small device in her hands. Athira recognised her as the elemental from the training room.

Well, this’ll be awkward.

“Talia?” said Athira.

Talia glanced up, the relaxed expression on her face instantly turning hard.

“You’re still here?”

Athira ignored the question. “Where’s Shift? I need to see him immediately.”

Talia snorted. “Question is, does he want to see you?”

“If he ever wants to wake up again, he probably does.

“Going after us one by one then are you?”

“If that were the case, I’d start with you,” said Athira. “But sadly, he did it to himself. Now where is he?”

Talia flipped her hair and started walking away, pointing at the hall she’d come from. “In the med bay with Raph and Kione.” She stopped in the door frame as it slid back, giving Athira a glare. “Don’t think I don’t know what you’re doing either Owl. I’m watching you.”