Chapter 5: Weird feelings

Saira's P.O.V

So today the mission started. Since Li stayed at my place, so I didn't have to worry about him, we were about to head out together to the HQ when I suddenly heard someone calling me. As I turned around, I saw Rin running towards us. "Good morning, Rin. What are you doing here?", I asked. "Do you really want to leave without saying good bye to your best friend?" "Well...you know, I never say "good bye" since it sounds like I will never see you again", I answered and pulled her in a hug,"I'll see you when I'm back." I could feel Rin nod and she asked me to take care of myself. Then she hugged Li, and I couldn't help myself, but feel jealous. Li and I stepped into the cab, which arrived a few seconds ago and let our homes and Rin behind us. "What was that on your face?", Li broke the silence. "Pardon?" "That look on your face when Rin hugged me." "I still don't get what you're talking about, Li." "Come on, admit it! You were jealous!" "Of what? My best friend hugging an old man?", I teased. "No but you're jealous that the hot guy next to you didn't hug you.", he provoked. I sighed and laughed. Suddenly I felt Li's arms wrap around me:" You don't have to be jealous, I'm here for both of you." Instead of being nervous, I felt comfortable. I could feel Li's calm heartbeat and realized how my own heart rushed after his whisper. I didn't get what was happening to me and I could already say: I didn't like it. I hated feeling unsure. It was the total opposite of confidence.
As we reached at the HQ, Li offered me his hand to step out. I took it thankfully and we walked to the ship. Next to the entrance, I could see that man, who challenged me to an Agni Kai, standing and waiting for someone. He greeted Li and pulled me aside: "I'm sorry for what happened that day. That was irresponsible and not respectful of me. You were right, I shouldn't have underestimated you because I don't know anything about you. Can we have a new start? Please?" I nodded. He held out his hand:"I'm Chan, nice to meet you, Miss?" "Saira", I completed and shook his hand. Chan asked me to follow him. I did as he said and he brought me upstairs. Li was already discussing the strategies with the crew as Chan and I joined. "Oh and thank you for not giving me scar.", he joked. I nodded briefly and focused on the mission. Then, as everyone left, I took out my well prepared maps and showed them to the Captain. He knew basically, where we had to go.
After Li gave orders to the crew, he walked next to me:" What did Chan want?" "He apologized.", I answered shortly. "Well...that's great.", he stated. I gave him a nod and watched the sea. "Hey Ir- Li.", someone called. I turned around to see a young man walking up to Li. They both greeted each other, then Li turned to me:" Well...since I met your best friend, I want you to meet mine. That's Haku. Haku that's Saira. I would've introduced you two earlier but Haku was busy with Commander Bumi's fleet." I looked at Haku. He had raven hair and blue eyes. I smiled and told him how delighted I was by meeting him. "You really dissed Chan. I've never seen him like that before. And your firebending abilities are mind blowing! Where did you learn that from? Can you teach me?" he asked. I smiled:" First of all, thank you. Second, being a good firebender runs in our family. Third, maybe I'll teach you some day." Haku grinned and walked downstairs.
The rest of the day was boring and without any incidents. I enjoyed the view of the sea and was sent to my cabin to rest because I was taking over the second night shift. As I entered my cabin, I threw myself on the bed and closed my eyes. I still could feel the touches of Li around my waist. Suddenly I heard a knock on the door and Li's soft voice behind it. I didn't know why but I completely ignored him and as he opened the door, I pretended to sleep. As he noticed that, he closed the door and left.
What was happening to me? I wanted it to stop but it didn't...

Iroh's P.O.V

I was glad that Saira and Haku finally met. Haku couldn't stop talking about how much he liked her. I haven't seen Saira since lunch and during that she was very quiet, not looking up once from her food, which she barely touched. I decided to let her do the second shift tonight and asked her to take rest. She just nodded and didn't say anything. As I entered her cabin, she was already asleep so I decided, not to wake her up. There was something missing on her. Her beautiful smile, which I noticed from the beginning on. I let the moment, when we first met in Republic City, run through my mind. The brunette girl, who stared at her luggages for minutes. As I asked to help her, her golden eyes lighted up and there was it. Her bright smile and her kind voice. "Lieutenant Li?", I heard the same voice, which was running through my mind. I turned around to see Saira. "I didn't know, you took over the first shift, Sir.", she said formally. "Well, now you know it", I grinned," Why are you here that early?" "Since I couldn't sleep, I decided to take over my shift a bit earlier, Sir.", she answered seriously. "Is there a reason, why you're so formal?", I asked curiously. "Yes there is. You're a higher official." "You still can call me Li." "That would be disrespectful."
I hoped for a small smile, but she didn't. "How about saying my name, when no one's around and in private? ", I suggested. Saira just nodded and kept staring at the sea. "Are you mad at me?" "No."
I gave up. I didn't get why she acted that weird lately. "There's something, I miss on you.", I said. She turned her eyes on me:"What is it?" "I miss your smile. I don't know what I did wrong that you don't talk to me. But at least, please smile again.", I said.
Saira laughed:" You didn't do anything wrong, Li. It's just, that I'm at work and focused. I can't be the way you met me back in Republic City. That's how I am outside of work. I need to stay professional and focused at work to be successful Especially in military. That's why I can't smile and joke around like back at home. It's to risky." Then Saira kissed my cheek:" Now please go, you have to take rest, since you're leading this mission." I wanted to say something but I knew it was useless to argue with her. So I nodded and headed to my cabin, still feeling Saira's lips on my cheek.

Hope you liked the chapter! In case you are a Yugioh-fan, please check out my newest story Past and Present!