Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Selson was pissed, but I was more pissed. As a woman I could hold onto my anger for as long as possible – which seemed to piss him off even more. He kept trying to talk to me, but I ignored him. Until I got an apology for his meddling, I refused to talk to him.

"Alora, are you ever going to forgive Selson?" Corey questioned, as I sat down at the breakfast table with French toast the following morning.

"Of course I am" I snorted, around a mouthful. "But until he actually says the words 'I'm sorry', he's getting the silent treatment". I offered him a bright smile, as my phone began to ring.

Glancing down, I frowned to see it was my home number. My heart rate spiked and I felt butterflies fluttering in my stomach. No one was at my house, so how was someone calling me from that number? I answered after a few seconds.

"Hello?" I asked tenderly.

"Alora thank god" a female voice yelled in shock. I breathed a sigh of relief because Charlene was obviously in my house – which she was supposed to be, because she was house sitting for my father.

"Charlene, hey, are you alright?"

"No, I'm not alright. Someone broke in to your house, Alora. They trashed everything". She began to cry, hiccupping softly, as my heart sped up once more. I heard Corey ask if I was alright, but I just waved him away with dismissed.

"Alora say something" Charlene sobbed. I let out a shaky breath, before pushing my fear aside.

"Have you told my dad?" I finally asked.

"No".

"Alright, don't. I'm on the next plane out, and I'll call Deminick. Just lock everything up as best you can, and go to work. Don't call the police, don't tell anyone. My dad doesn't need to know. We'll come back and clear it up". My voice was calm, but I was not. Corey looked at me in concern from across the table.

Charlene wasn't happy with the choice not to tell my father, but she quickly agreed as she didn't want to upset him and put a damper on their budding relationship. "What happened?" Corey asked, as soon as I hung the phone up.

"Someone trashed my house" I frowned, fear still freezing my blood.

"Shit. Do you know who?"

"I have no idea" I lied. "But don't tell Selson, he'll freak. But I have to go back to the Island to sort it out".

"I can't let you go alone" Corey protested, his brown eyes shining in worry.

"I'll call my oldest brother, and he'll meet me back home".

"Still, you have no idea who did this Alora. Your brother would kill me if he knew that I let you go back to a house that had just been trashed, and I didn't tell him".

"You can't tell him" I hissed, pleading.

"Why not? Do you know who broke in?"

"Please, Corey, promise me you won't tell him?" I fluttered my large eyes at him, hoping I looked cute enough to convince him.

"You do know who broke in, don't you?" he frowned – a statement more than a question. I sighed, running my hand down my face. "Fine don't tell me. But I'm not letting you go back alone. Either I tell Selson, or I come with you".

"Are you crazy? You have class, you can't just come back to Vancouver Island with me on a whim" I exclaimed, throwing my hands in the air.

"Yes I can" Corey argued, crossing his muscled arms over his muscled chest and glaring at me. "We'll make it a weekend trip".