35 - "Was it really romantic?"

Chapter 35 - "Was it really romantic?"

As my alarm went off, I groaned and rolled over, almost falling out of bed. That woke me up with a start and I sat upright to find my single bed empty. Sighing, I remembered that I was no longer in Rome, in a luxurious double bed with Nathan lying beside me. Despite the separate bedrooms rule, as the week had gone on, Nathan had taken to sleeping in the same bed as me—something which I secretly knew would have inevitably happened. Now I felt lonely as I sat alone in my English bedroom.

I could hear the television on in the living room, signalling that my parents were up, so I got out of bed and padded downstairs. Mum was in the kitchen, cooking something that didn't look like breakfast. Frowning, I glanced at the clock. It was two o'clock in the afternoon.

"Hi," I said, catching her attention.

She spun and smiled, seeming genuinely thrilled to see me. Then she swept me up in a hug.

"Isobel! I've missed you! How was Rome?"

"It was really good," I said with a smile as floods of memories washed over me. "But I'll tell you about it later when I'm dressed and stuff. I didn't realise it was this late."

"Yeah, what time did you get in?"

"About three this morning," I replied, stifling a yawn as I recalled my late night. "The plane was delayed for four hours."

"Did Nathan drop you off?" she asked.

"Yeah, we got a taxi from the airport but had the driver drop me here first."

"Good." Mum smiled in approval. "Get dressed and I'll make you some lunch."

It felt strange wearing normal clothes again after a week of being able to dress lightly due to the mild Italian weather. In true English style, it was raining and cold. I pulled on a hoodie over my t-shirt and then had a quick wash in the bathroom before heading down for my breakfast, or rather my lunch.

"So," Mum said, as we sat down at the table. "Where did you visit?"

"Well, some of the same places as when we went to Rome before," I told her. "But Nathan was like my own personal historian. Plus he took me to all these quaint little cafes that were hidden away. It was so nice."

"And did you get on with his family?"

"Yeah," I replied enthusiastically, realising for the first time just how relieved I was about getting on with them so well. "They're lovely. They were really...accommodating. It was almost as though they already liked me before I'd even met them."

Mum laughed. "Well, I'm sure Nathan's told them all about you."

I smiled, knowing how true that was. "Yeah, and all good things, apparently."

"Now tell me about these Italian history lessons."

-

Jess answered the phone on the second ring.

"Hey! How are you? How was Rome?"

"I'm good thanks, and Rome was amazing! I can't wait to tell you about it!"

"Are you free today? We can go shopping and then to dinner?" she suggested.

Jess clearly wanted to make up for the time when she couldn't join me for shopping. No doubt she was feeling guilty about having plans with Alex when I'd wanted to meet up.

"Yeah, give me an hour to get myself ready?"

"Okay. Meet at half three?"

"Yeah, see you there."