Chapter Thirteen

"Appetence (n.) an eager desire; an instinctive inclination; an attraction or natural bond."

Erin had been working on Bucky's arm for a good portion of the morning trying figure out where her first serum had gone wrong. Even after she figured out what the problem was, she only had a theory on how to fix it.

A few days had passed since Bucky revealed what he knew about the symbol, but they weren't any closer to figuring out who D.K. was.

"Can I ask you something?" Bucky said out of the blue.

She glanced up from his metal arm, "No, I don't like cats."

"Darn," Bucky chuckled.

Erin laughed with him, "What is it?" She was curious. Bucky had never really initiated conversations during the times she worked on his arm. He must really be curious if he was now. Another small part of Erin however hoped it was something else.

Bucky hesitated for a moment, "Steve told me that you were one of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s top recruits. That guy with the eye patch, Nick Fury, he had high hopes for you. What happened?"

Erin stopped what she was doing for a moment and looked at him, surprised. He had never asked her such a direct question before. It took her a moment to figured out how to respond. "After... after everything that happened with HYDRA..." She swallowed, thinking of the memories.

Bucky looked down, "After we blew it to hell."

"That wasn't you." She said quickly. He glanced back at her, surprised. She quieted her voice, "Even I know that." His blue eyes stared at her. She looked back at his arm and continued working, "After that, I just didn't see the point anymore."

Another moment passed. "What made you want to be a part of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the first place?"

A ghost of a smile played on her lips, "I'm not sure you would believe me."

"Oh come on," He smiled at her and Erin's heart expanded in her chest. It was in this moment, he looked like Bucky Barnes. She was seeing him as her Bucky from that old picture. There was no trace of the Winter Soldier in his smile.

She dropped his stare, "It was you."

She looked back up to see more confusion flash across his face as he shifted in his seat turning his whole body more towards her. "I don't understand."

Erin bit the inside of her cheek. "My full name is Erin Margret McCall," She met his gaze. "My grandfather... his name was Matthew McCall. He was a sergeant during World War II," She paused, "He served with the 107th, was captured by HYDRA, experimented on, and rescued by Steve... all with you," She paused, "You were his friend."

Something fearful passed over Bucky's eyes. He looked away from her, into a window of some memory she knew she couldn't follow. She swallowed and continued, "After he was rescued, my grandfather worked closely alongside Mr. Stark and Agent Carter, helping develop the bio mechanics division of S.H.I.E.L.D." She said quietly. "And that only happened because of you."

He finally looked at her again, but if he recalled anything about her grandfather he didn't reveal it. Erin had been hesitant to bring up the subject with him. She held a small flicker of hope that he would remember, but she knew it had been foolish to hope. "He always told me the only reason Mr. Stark ever sought him out was because you recommended him before..." You died? You fell? "Well, only you know what happened to you." Her voice was no more than a whisper.

His gaze was distant again, like he was trying desperately to grab onto something, but was helpless as it floated away out of reach.

"It's okay if you don't-"  She cut herself off. "When I was little, he gave me a picture. It was of the two of you with Steve. I took it with me everywhere. He... he told me all about you. He said you were a good friend and one of the best men he ever knew."