Chapter 9

When Char woke up the next morning, she rubbed her eyes and sat up, yawning. She looked around, realising no one else was in the room. "Guys?" she called, standing up and looking around. The door opened and Ed looked in.

"Oh, morning Char. You sleep well?"

"Uh huh. What time is it?"

"About nine-ish. Listen, Winry wants to fit me some new parts on my automail, so I wondered if you wanted to go look around town with Al? He says he doesnt mind." Char nodded.

"Sure. I still need to find my souvenir, so this'll be the perfect opportunity to look for one." A thought occured to her. "Oh wait, I dont have any money," she said with a sheepish grin. Ed considered, then walked over to his bag and rummaged around before picking up a small bag. He tossed it to her and she caught it.

"There's some money in there. Use it if you want, just dont go mad buying stuff we cant carry." Char nodded and grinned before skipping out. Al was waiting by the door.

"You ready to go?" he asked.

"Yep!" Char said with a laugh, grabbing his hand and dragging him behind her as they ran out of the hotel. Ed watched them go with a shake of his head.

"Apparently Char didnt notice she slept in my bed last night instead of me," he murmured.

 Char skipped through the town, looking at anything that took her fancy, though most of it was automail. "Is there a library?" she asked Al. He shook his head.

"The people here arent mad on books. They go more for the engineering side of things." Char sighed, then continued to look around.

As she was walking past one alley, a feeble bark caught her attention, and she turned. A wolf stood in the darkness of the alleyway, it's fur matted and dirty. It's eyes were dull, and it was so thin, it looked like it was about to collapse. Char walked over to it cautiously, Al walking ahead without realising, and it led her down the alley where a small wolf was curled up.

Char looked at it in surprise. It seemed more full than the older wolf, and it's silver fur shone a little. It looked up when she crouched over it and gave a little yap, standing up and licking her hand. Char turned to ask the older wolf something when it suddenly fell on it's side. Char gasped and the puppy yapped in concern, running over to it's side and snuffling it. It didnt respond and the puppy looked sad before howling.

Char looked from the puppy to the wolf and realised something. "That was your mum, wasnt it. She was giving you all the food she could find to keep you alive, right?" she murmured, stroking it. Al finally came back.

"Char what are you doing down here?" he asked. Char looked at him, then at the puppy, before showing him. He looked surprised.

"Is that a...wolf?" he asked.

"Yeah..The mum showed me her baby before she died. Please Al, we can keep it, right? I cant leave it to fend for itself."

"I dont know..."

"Please!" Char looked so desperate, so Al sighed.

"We'll take it back to brother. He can decide," he said eventually.

"No way."

Char looked upset. "Why not?" she asked.

"It's an animal, Char. It needs feeding, exercise and a lot of attention."

"We can give him all of that! We'll just take some of the stuff from you and give it to him." Ed shook his head, and no matter how much Char pleaded, he refused to change his mind. Finally she sighed. "Can it at least stay with us tonight?" she asked. Ed considered, then nodded.