57~The Children We Wrong

"When I cry - when I let myself cry - that's who I cry for. I don't cry for myself. I cry for the Cassie that's gone.
And I wonder what that Cassie would think of me.
The Cassie who kills."   

-The 5th Wave

    The pack shouted in terror when I gripped the wooden leg of the chair in my hand. I roughly pulled it out of his chest, feeling it scrape against his chest. He just gritted his teeth. It made me angry. Didn't he feel pain? Didn't he want to scream? He needed to feel the pain I felt. He needed to feel what I felt! 

     "What a little trooper." I snarled, rage overtaking my features. I lunged for him again, a deep, savage need gripping me. Valentino pushed me away from Vince. "Araceli! Enough!" 

     I blinked, dropping the chair leg in my hand. I glanced at the blood on my hands. What had I done? What had I done to Vincenzo? 

      I needed to throw up. I needed to leave. I clutched my head, running into my room. A small puddle formed beneath me. I screamed as a pain ripped through my body. My water had broken, and the baby wanted out. 

~

    The doctor dabbed at my face carefully. "I need to call the alpha." he said nervously. 

     I shouted in pain as another wave of contraction hit me. Sweat beaded down my forehead. The doctor was whispering soothing things to me, trying to distract me from the baby clawing it's way out of my womb. "The head is out." he soothed. 

      I clenched the sheets of the hospital bed. I had sped to the pack hospital, even as the baby struggled to get out. I panted heavily, screaming as the baby wriggled out, stretching me painfully. The doctor swallowed thickly, I had talked to him prior to the birth. "It's a girl. Do you want to hold her?" he asked softly.

     My lower lip trembled, I didn't want to do this. "No, no, no." I sobbed, clenching the sheets in my fists. "I can't." I whispered.

     I turned my head to look at the baby girl. "Her name is Thea." I whispered hoarsely. The loud cry resonated through my ears. I closed my eyes. The child's shocking red hair shook me to my core. I let out a large cry, "Take her to the nearest town." I murmured, sobs still racking my body. "Leave her at a human's doorstep." The doctor nodded, his head downcast. 

     I cracked a sad smile at the wailing infant. "You're going to be happy. And you are going to have a normal life. You're gonna find your mate, and he'll love you forever. You're gonna have parents, with a healthy relationship, Who love each other as much as they love you. And it's going to be a lot. Your life is going to be amazing, darling." 

~

    I was still crying when Vincenzo stormed into the room. "Did it survive?" he whispered, collapsing against the wall. He didn't even scream at me for stabbing him. "Where is it? Can I please hold it?" He looked around like a small child, as if expecting her to be hiding underneath a table or something.

      I closed my eyes, turning away. "Yeah, she's alive. And Vin-" I couldn't finish.

     His eyes darkened, "What did you do Araceli? WHAT DID YOU DO WITH MY BABY?!"

      I was weightless, already expecting this. "I gave her what we couldn't have given her. A healthy family. I did what was best for her. Please understand." I croaked. 

      "No! Tell me you didn't abandon our baby? Tell me you didn't!" 

       It's the look in his eyes. The absolute childish fear. His golden eyes that I had first gazed into that one night, and felt what it was like to be complete, even if I didn't know it at the time. 

    "You didn't do this for her! You did this for yourself!" he screamed, tossing things into walls. 

      "It's the cycle." I whispered, tasting the salty tears on my face. "It's the cycles that we can't seem to break. You with your cycle of abuse. And me... Me with my cycle of abandonment. I can feel myself drowning Vince. Drowning in the realization of how completely toxic we are for each other. And how much worse it would have been if we kept Thea."

A/N: TWO UPDATES IN ONE DAY! LOOK AT ME BITCHES!