Chapter 22.

A scream echoed through the cold stone room, tears staining the polished marble with the fruits of despair. Blood ran like rivers across the white floor, and a child's scream once again shattered the silence. The masked figures shrouded by the candlelight raised the shining blade once more, and the boy's whimpering filled the air.

Sebastian...

Sebastian...

SEBASTIAN!

The Earl sat bolt upright in bed, his forehead dripping with sweat and his knuckles white from where he hand clenched his fists. Shaking terribly the boy slowly uncurled his fingers, ignoring the purple marks on his palms from where his fingernails had dug into the skin.

It was just another dream...

Without thinking about what he was doing, Ciel slid out from beneath the covers and his bare feet touched the carpet. Slipping on a pair of shoes the boy went to his wardrobe, taking out a coat and putting it on. Barely able to see in the darkness he left the room, making his way downstairs, out of the manor and in to the garden. The night air was cold, and a chilly autumn breeze washed over his pale face. With wide eyes the Earl wandered out into the gardens, following the stone path to a bench he often used to sit on and read in the summer.
Ciel sat on the freezing stone bench, pulling his coat tighter around himself as he stared into the darkness, mismatched eyes glowing a little in the faint moonlight. His mind and voice were both silent, gaze unfocused and blank.

*****

"Ciel... What on earth are you doing outside at this time of night? You'll catch cold."

Sebastian sat on the bench beside his master, taking off his tailcoat and draping it over the boy. It took Ciel a few moments to respond and he looked up, eyes focusing in on his butler.

"Sebastian..."

He murmured, leaning sideways as the demon extended an arm and wrapped it around the Earl's shoulders. His head rested gently on Sebastian's shoulder.

"What's the matter, Ciel? You were in such a good mood all day, and now this... Something is troubling you. Do you want to talk?"

Ciel shook his head and snuggled up to Sebastian's side, comforted by his presence.

"It was nothing... Just a bad dream. I needed some air, that's all."

Leaning down the demon kissed the boy on the top of his head, softly and gently.

"Alright... We need to get you inside Ciel. Come on, you can go back to bed."

With a slight nod the Earl remained where he was for a moment or two, allowing Sebastian to pick him up and carry him inside.

*****

The butler laid his master back in his bed, pulling the covers over him and tucking the edges of the quilt in.

"Now. Will you be alright to go back to sleep?"

He said quietly, standing up straight.

"Sebastian... Stay here... Please."

With a nod the demon stood by the bed, but looked down again as the boy tugged on his sleeve.

"You don't have to stand there like that... At least sit down."

Nodding again, Sebastian sat on the edge of the bed just beside Ciel.

"Okay. Sleep well, Master."

Wordlessly the boy closed his eyes to try and go back to sleep, and though his mind was tired he could not settle.

Some time later, Ciel turned over to look at his butler.

"You must get some sleep. Being tired tomorrow will do you no good at all."

Said the demon, looking down at the young Earl with soft crimson eyes.

"I just can't seem to get back to sleep... Would... No, never mind."

Sebastian tilted his head to one side as the boy cut himself off.

"What is it, Ciel? If you need to say something you can talk to me."

The boy turned his back and looked rather embarrassed, facing the wall.

"Take off your tailcoat and shoes. I don't want to be alone... Not tonight."

Shocked at the Earl's sudden display of weakness even with the events of the past few weeks, Sebastian sat there for a moment or two and stared. Though soon enough he consented, placing his shoes neatly at the foot of the bed and leaving his tailcoat folded on the chair. Ciel pushed the covers back, and Sebastian climbed into the bed on the empty side. He pulled the quilt up and lay there, staring at the ceiling and stiff as a board. Within seconds Ciel had cuddled up to his butler, laying his head on the demon's chest.

"You can relax, you know."

He said with a slight smile, closing his eyes as Sebastian allowed the tension to drain from his muscles. He wrapped his arm around Ciel and held him close, crimson eyes drifting shut.

"Goodnight, Sebastian."

"Goodnight, Ciel."