Chapter 4 | Cole

It had now only been a few days back into school- Thursday, to be exact, and nothing exciting had happened yet. No awful rumors, no entertaining drama to witness, I was really quite bored. Currently, it was the third period and I watched as Mycah and Kyle were taking down notes hurriedly. I was grateful that I was one of those lucky people that didn't have to try too hard to get decent grades.

If I was being completely honest, I never really strived to achieve the highest grades possible. I've always been happy with my grades, ranging from average to slightly above average, without too much time spent on studying. My mom constantly gets upset that I don't apply myself further, she knows I can do better. But for whatever reason, I've always been satisfied with my school work the way it was. Even the teachers have given up on trying to encourage me. I just don't understand why I had to be academically smart. Football has always been my main focus, much to my parents disdain, although they are supportive of my love for the sport.

My teacher was babbling on about some overly complicated maths equations that I doubt I'll ever need to use in my lifetime. Instead of listening, I focused my attention on the crow outside the window to my left, that was currently trying to dig a worm out from grass. It's truly amazing the things that become entertaining when you don't want to do schoolwork.

The lesson still has half an hour before it finishes, so I whipped out my phone and started texting Dylan, who was in a different class. Unlike my other friends, Dylan didn't care about school at all. He really should though, considering the dumbass failed almost half his classes last year. I'm surprised he didn't get held back, as I know it was a possibility. We would often ditch classes together, but no matter how hard we tried to convince Mycah to do the same, he never did.

Somehow, I managed to scrape in a five-minute texting conversation with Dylan before I was caught. Damn. I guess he won't  know what I was going to say next, because now I can't reply.

"Mr. Tucker! Your phone, give it to me now!" The teacher, Mrs. Valeria shouted, scowling at me.

"Yeah, no can do, Val." I brushed her off.

"M-Mr. Tucker, I said-" She tried telling me again, only to have me cut her off.

"And I said no can do,"

Her eyes flitted around the classroom nervously. Pathetic. I was well aware I was being rude, but she made it so easy. I wouldn't dare try it with another teacher. How she got her teaching degree was beyond me. She often came to classes unorganized, appearing as if she didn't know the content she needed to teach. Very rarely, could this teacher ever get the students in her classes under control. She was the worst when it came to letting her students walk all over her. No spine, whatsoever.

"Don't be rude. We will talk about this after class." The teacher said.

No we won't be. She was just saying that. I knew, and everyone else knew that she wouldn't attempt to follow up on it and I would walk out of this room freely after the class had finished.

I wouldn't be handing over my phone to her- no way. But the least I could do was stop texting. Sliding my phone into the pocket of my jeans, I glanced outside the window to continue watching the crow. Much to my disappointment, the bird was gone.

Now what do I do? Schoolwork? Nah.

~

At lunch, I made my way over to sit next to the twins, who were at our usual table but I decided against it when I heard them arguing about something useless. They would argue over who did the biggest shit in the toilet, I swear. I sat down next to Mycah and unfortunately Isaac.