02| first day

"In my opinion, you would've done much better in Slytherin."

Y/N POV

Y/N POV

The next morning, I woke up fairly early, which was quite unusual because I would normally consider myself to not be a morning person. After rubbing my eyes and sitting upwards, I hesitantly walk over to my closet and grab my Gryffindor robes, trying not to wake up Hermione; who was fast asleep in the large bed next to mine.

Once I successfully got dressed, I quietly brushed my teeth and combed my hair before heading down to the common room with my eyes slightly closed. Not paying attention, I plopped down on the couch and quickly jumped back up once I saw Harry in the common room too.

"Harry what are you doing up so early?" I asked, taking a seat next to him.

"To be honest, I don't really know. Bad dreams I guess." He replied, sighing and shifting his eyes to meet mine.

"Oh, okay." I replied, although I was slightly concerned. But, I decided to let the thought go as I did not want to make him uncomfortable.

"Y/n?" Harry asked me, causing my eyebrows to shift upward.

"Yes?" I replied.

"Why are you...you know...so well known?" He asked me.

"What do you mean?" I asked, not processing what he was saying.

"Everyone knows who you are around here," Harry explained.

"Oh..." I paused, doing my best to come up with a logical explanation.

As my mind whirred in thought, I could feel Harry's gaze lurking on me. It seemed as if he was desperately awaiting an answer.

Shifting in my seat, I cleared my throat and continued, "I guess one would say that my family, the Clearwater's, are highly respected in the wizarding world because of our infamous background. We hold great power that goes back generations, similar to the Malfoys."

"Oh," Harry spoke, his mouth gaping slightly.

"It does put a lot of pressure on my end..." I trailed off, looking down at the floor. "It seems like everyone expects me to preform well, just as my mother and father had. They really set the bar high for me."

"I'm sure they will be proud of you, y/n," Harry assured me.

I let out a soft laugh, "Thank you, Harry."

Looking up at the clock, which was located in the center of the common room, I took note of the time and let out a sigh, "Anyways, we should head to class. It would be embarrassing if we were late on our first day."

───────────────

Later that day, as I was making my way to Professor Snape's potions class, I felt a forceful bump beside me, pushing me to the side. Furrowing my eyebrows, I turned to face the figure, which happened to be Goyle.

The boy let out a low chuckle, "Oops, sorry."

"Watch where you're going, Goyle..." A familiar voice joked from behind him. "You wouldn't want her to fall, now would you?"

Turning to face the voice, I rolled me eyes and spoke, "Hello, Draco."

"Y/n..." Draco Malfoy replied, studying my appearance and noting my Gryffindor robes. "I notice that you were put into the Gryffindor house, you're parents must be so disappointed. It's a shame that you're hanging around with Potter and the others now, I really thought we were going to be good friends."

"Whats that supposed to mean?" I defended, stepping before him.

"In my opinion, you would've done much better in Slytherin." The boy finished, stepping away from me and looking over at his two friends. "Come on boys."

Following the group into the classroom, I found a seat next to Hermione, Harry, and Ron, who seemed to be deep in conversation. Every now and then, I noticed myself glancing over at the all-too-familiar blonde haired boy, who's back was turned to me.

Zoning out at the sight, I thought more about what he said to me, how my parents would be disappointed with my house placement. Since I had not yet heard from them, I began to question the belief more and more.

I was startled by a slam of a door by a man in a black cloak walking up to the front. His eyes were dark, mischievous, and may I say...extremely intimidating.

"There will be no foolish wand waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to enjoy the subtle science and exact art that is potion making. However, for those select few, who possess the predisposition, I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory and even put a stopper in death." Snape stops and glances at Harry, who was writing something down.

"Then again, maybe some of you have come to Hogwarts in possession of abilities so formidable that you feel confidant enough to not...pay...attention." He snaps.

I nudge Harry in the ribs. He looks up.

"Mr. Potter. Our...new...celebrity. Tell me, what would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to an infusion of wormwood?" He asks.

Hermione's hand skyrockets, but Harry shrugs.

"You don't know? Well, let's try again. Where, Mr. Potter, would you look if I asked you to find me a bezoar?" He asks.

Hermione's hand shoots up again.

"I don't know, Sir." Harry says and looks down.

"And what is the difference between Monkshood and Wolfbane?" He asks.

"I don't know, Sir." Harry says disappointingly.

"Pity. Clearly, fame isn't everything, is it, Mr. Potter?" He spats.

───────────────

After the class was dismissed, I made my way over to the Great Hall for lunch. As I took a seat at the Gryffindor table, I noticed a flock of owls arrive from above, which seemed to immediately capture everyones attention.

"Ah. Mail's here!" Ron says.

The owls soar by, dropping letters to a variety of students. To my surprise, an owl approached me, dropping a hand written letter right before me. I examine the envelope, noticing my name written delicately in cursive.

My mothers handwriting.

Taking a deep breath, I slowly tore the letter open, preparing for the worst. As my eyes scanned the piece of parchment, I carefully began to read:

Dear y/n,

Sweetheart, your father and I are so proud that you were sorted into Gryffindor! Although it was not the house we had hoped for, I want you to know that we are happy for you nonetheless. You are very strong, y/n. I hope you are having an amazing time, your father and I love you so much! Remember, don't get into too much trouble.

Love,

Mom & Dad

Letting out a long awaited sigh, a huge wight was suddenly lifted from my shoulders. Since I had anticipated a much different letter from them, hearing these words provided a great deal of relief.

Draco Malfoy was wrong, they were happy for me.