C.6~ Give Me Hope

I don't think I could have possibly been more anxious  and distracted the next day at school.

I usually listened to every word the teachers said and took fine detailed notes as if it were a six sense. But today, today I could barely even concentrate on holding a conversation with Norah. I had talked to Brice in a few of my classes, occasionally caught Brett staring, and even attempted to listen to Xavier talk about yesterday. But somehow, my mind kept drifting back to Lily at home with my mom.

 It also started to drift back to the letter. . . and who had left it.

Whoever had left the baby at the door step more than likely went to this school. Which meant she could be the girl sitting behind me in History or just some girl that I rarely passed by in the hallway. What bugged me even more is that the person had said that I needed Xavier. 

Who in there right mind would think that I would need someone like Xavier Morgan in my life? 

You do, Bea.

". . . I swear to God, Bea. If you don't start listening I will purposely spike my volleyball in your direction at the game later." My head snapped up from where I had been staring down at my untouched salad. Norah was leaning over the table, her blue eyes dark with anger.

"I was listening. I just don't want to go to Homecoming, okay?" I snapped. Her eyes flickered with a mixture of awe and surprise. She stared at me a long second, before she shook her head and looked back down at her phone.

I hated going to school dances, especially when I knew Norah would win Prom Queen or any contest there was. Not only was she beautiful, but she could play almost any sport and everyone seemed to flock around her like she was worth a million dollars. I loved my best friend, but sometimes I felt like I was nothing but her quiet shadow.

"Oh come on, Bea. It's our last year of high school, our last year together before I go back to Miami! You've gotta go." I could feel my face scrunch up, my eyes searching hers.

"I have no date, Nor. Plus I have Lily now and. . ." I started to say, only to be cut off a second later.

"Who cares about the kid, Beatrice? When she's old enough to hear it, do you want to tell her that you didn't go to Homecoming because you were at home taking care of her?" I heard my teeth grinding before I felt it.

"I care about the baby, Norah. Xavier cares. . ."

"Speaking of that little devil. What's going on between you two?" She asked, quickly changing the subject. I shrugged, shoving a fork of the salad into my mouth. Maybe it was best she changed the subject, I didn't trust myself and what I would have said in return if she hadn't.

"Nothing. He's my partner for The Baby Project, that's it." I mumbled once I was done chewing. Norah shook her head, glancing down at her phone for a second.

"Bea, I think it's more than that if he's actually sticking around to help you with your new foster kid. He's Xavier Morgan, he could have any girl he wants here. Instead he wants to help you raise a child that isn't even his. I think he likes you." She reached across the table and took my cheek in her hand, squeezing it like she was my grandmother. I pushed her hand away, avoiding her questioning eyes.

"He likes someone else." I replied, taking another bite of my food so I didn't have to explain more. She only frowned.

"Who? If he told you he liked someone, then maybe he was trying to cover up that he likes you and-"

"He doesn't like me, Norah. Not at all." I cut her off, shoving my food into the trash as the bell rang. She looked a little shocked by my outburst, but I went on before she could respond. "He likes you. I mean, you're Norah Stiller, who wouldn't?" And with one last glare, I stalked out of the cafeteria.

**

I shut the front door to the house gently, greeted by my red faced father.

"Where have you been?" He growled.

"I was at Norah's volleyball game, Dad. I. . ."

"I was supposed to be at work two hours ago,"

He snapped, pausing as he gestured behind him at Lily in her swing, "But I couldn't leave! If you want to take care of this child, then you need to learn responsibility. This child is not just some toy you can forget about." I gaped at my father as he tore my purse out of my grip.

"Dad! What are you doing?" I cried, reaching for it.

What right did he have going through my bag?

"Until you learn how to take care of this child that you wanted to raise so bad, you will not use your phone. I will give you a flip phone to use for emergencies. Now go feed your baby and don't you dare start crying or begging me for the phone. It isn't going to happen." He stormed out of the room with my phone before I could respond.

I let out a long sigh before heading toward the middle of the living room where Lily was squirming around in the bassinet.

"I'm sorry, Lily. I should have come right home." I said, shaking my head to myself. I wasn't going to fight my dad, because he was right. I don't know why the hell I had believed he would be okay with watching her for two hours longer than I had promised. She was my child now, not his.

"I was at Norah's volleyball game. She barely even talked to me though. She was so busy flirting with the whole football team that I barely got a word in." I muttered bitterly to her. The only response I got out of Lily was her hand wrapping itself around my thumb.

"Yes, yes. I know. Now please don't spit this up, all right?" I pleaded, holding up the bottle of formula. She only gurgled in response.

 I would just to have to pray that meant yes.

**

"Okay! Okay, I'm coming!" I screamed, throwing a fresh and clean t-shirt on as I jogged toward the door. Lily looked up from her swing, her mouth open.

"You are an impatient. . . Norah? Xavier?" I broke off mid-sentence. Norah was hanging off Xavier's arm, her head thrown back as she laughed. I let my eyes flicker back and forth between them before finally speaking up.

"Can I help you?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. Norah finally stopped laughing and rested her hand on Xavier's bicep.

"I was just coming by to pick up the notes I let you borrow and I ran into Xavier on the way up here. He's so funny!" She was giggling as she blinked flirtatiously in his direction. I swallowed the lump in my throat and turned my attention to him.

I had seen him at her game, so it wasn't really a surprise they had met back up and acted as if they were old friends meeting again for the first time in a long while. 

"What are you doing here?" I turned my dark look on Xavier. 

"I came to see Lily. I thought we were partners." He mumbled, turning away. I stared at him in surprise before nodding slowly.

"Yeah, for school. You don't have to help me with Lily, Xavier. She isn't your respons. . ."

"She's as much mine as she is yours. I want to help. Can I come in?" He shrugged Norah off his arm gently as he spoke. 

By the look on my best friend's face someone might guess that she had never been turned brushed aside by a guy before. 

I suppose there's a first for everything.

"Oh! Did you hear, Beatrice?" Norah said suddenly, clapping her hands in excitement.

"Hear what?" I questioned, looking back to her in confusion. She finally wrapped her arms around Xavier's bicep and grinned, a dangerous glint of an emotion I couldn't quite place in her eyes.

"Xavier and I are dating!"

***AN***

*Edited*

Thoughts? I hope you guys enjoyed! 

Let me know what you thought!

~ChasingMadness24