Chapter 37

April's POV

"I don't get this – what does 'Cuando yo necesite ayuda o su opinión, yo se la pido. De lo contrario déjeme la vida en paz' mean?" I complained, glancing up at Diego and Nina on the sofa. Great. They weren't even listening to me. "Hello?"  

I sighed and shuffled into the kitchen,  rejected. "Not nice being alone is it?" I turned in surprise at the voice behind me. It was Lola, my roommate that seemed to disappear all the time – I smiled unsurely, not quite knowing how to reply.

I took in her appearance – a pixie haircut,  stockings, and skirt reaching mid-thigh. Her piercings and red lipstick added to the image of an extremely unapproachable, intimidating woman but I knew better than to judge on looks. She sighed. "Men are pigs April – you know that right?" 

"Of course," I laughed. Then, I sobered. "Are you okay?" Lola had her mood swings and I didn't want to be caught in the middle of one. Secretly, I was a little scared of her and I think George and Elena were too, but we usually just brushed away her disturbing commentary on life.

"Fine. Just fine," she breathed. I frowned and slowly began to back out of the kitchen. "Well, if you want to talk..." 

Lola lifted her head from the kitchen table, the faint outline of a smirk on her lips. "You have a boyfriend, right April?" 

My eyes widened in surprise. "No! Why would you think that?" 

"Aiden told me – you know that tall, dark haired guy. I'll take him if you don't want him." Lola raised an eyebrow playfully and I felt my stomach burning.

"How do you know Aiden?" 

"He was here – he came this afternoon looking for you, but you weren't home yet and so we got talking." Lola replied.

"This afternoon?" I groaned, "I went to the mechanics with Nina. And I don't have a boyfriend. Trust me, I think I would know." I retorted defensively. "Who - who did he say was my boyfriend?"

She smiled and tapped the side of her cheek. I frowned and it dawned on me several minutes later. The kiss on the cheek. The tap on the cheek reminding me at the diner. No – whatever I thought that gesture meant couldn't be true. I shook my head, finalizing my thoughts and with a yell, announced that I was going for a walk. 

Once I reached the shops, I assessed every single Ben & Jerry ice-cream option available. I was feeling Cookie Dough and yet Chocolate Fudge Brownie was the only thing I could eat in less than 10 minutes straight. It was that good. I finally picked up the tub and stood in line, waiting to pay. 

"Are you going to eat all of that yourself?" A voice asked from behind me. I swiveled on my heel in surprise. Aiden and Daniel stood behind me, shaking their heads at me. 

"Yes." I justified quickly, "What are you guys doing here?" 

"Getting beer." Daniel responded, holding up a pack of beer. My heart rate quickened slightly when I realized that Aiden was with him, so I turned and forced myself to function like a regular human being. Oh God, why was it so hard to breathe all of a sudden? 

When I stepped outside after paying, they had followed swiftly. Daniel hurried ahead to a car near the end of the car park whilst Aiden slowed down so he was in line with me. I took my time fumbling with my purse, counting out the change as I put it in so as to avoid looking at him for as long as possible. 

"Are you going to ignore me?" Aiden sounded very much like a little child in the moment, that I paused, looking up.

"Preferably." Then, my eyes narrowed. "Aiden, what did you tell Lola?"