Chapter 17

You walked in silence for a long time. What was there to say? You certainly weren't going to talk about what had just happened; meeting a dead man? Not the highlight of any conversations. You glanced at Wirt from time to time; he looked sad, but concerned. You wanted to say something, but you didn't know what you could say.

The debate in your mind rushed on, but you weren't about to voice this argument; Wirt would immediately shut you down. Why would anyone wish to stay in a place where they would be dead? But then, why would anyone want to go back to a place so monotonous and stressful? You sighed quietly once more and looked down at your notepad.

Your poem spoke of sticking together throughout anything, yet why did these words not speak of your situation?  You wished so badly to be able to write a poem or a story or even just a phrase that could capture the struggles and beauty you faced, but things were more complicated than that.

You dug in your pocket for your pen and pulled out the old thing. You began writing on a new page, careful to watch your step as you walked. You kept crossing out your words and changing your ideas until you had a page full of scribbles. The other poem had come so easily. Why was this harder now? You jammed the pen in your pocket once more and flipped the notepad closed. Writing and walking wasn't a good idea anyway.

The sun was already more than three quarters of its way to sunset; depending on how far away the Woodsman was, there might not have been time. As the sun's light began fading slightly, temperatures began dropping, as they had the night before. You pulled your jacket closer and walked a little closer to Wirt. In the dissipating daylight, you didn't want to become separated.

The trees had covered you once more, blocking even more of the sun. You doubted if you'd make it to the Woodsman's house before nightfall.

A new building soon came into view. Its lamps were already lit, illuminating the ground around it. Wirt saw it and moaned.

"You know this place, as well?" you asked.

"Unfortunately," he mumbled.

"Should we skip it?" you asked.

Wirt looked up at the darkening sky, then he glanced back at the building. His gaze settled on you. He seemed hesitant to answer.

"Who's here?" you asked.

"It's the tavern," he informed you.

Remembering his tale, you didn't really want to go in. Pushy, labeled people, forcing a wedding on a kid they just met? If they recognized him, or even if they didn't, and saw a boy and a girl together... Things probably wouldn't go so well. Yet, the sky was getting dark, and you knew you weren't close to the Woodsman. You suddenly understood Wirt's dilemma. Keep walking for who knows how long into the darkness of night, or go into a tavern full of wild people with quixotic ideas of life.

"It's up to you," you told him.

"Gee, thanks," he mumbled. He groaned slightly. "Things were easier last time."

You looked down. You were almost certain that you weren't meant to hear that last part, but you had. You weren't sure if he meant last time he was at the tavern or in the Unknown. Either way, it made you feel bad. For Wirt's uncertainties, for the fact that you weren't being much of a help, for that fact that you couldn't be much of a help. You had no experiences here except the last day and a half.

"We can sleep against a tree like last night," you offered.

"If we go in quietly, no one will notice," he assured himself aloud. "We haven't eaten since yesterday and sleeping against a tree won't be rest enough."

"But we don't have any money," you reminded him.

"They don't really seem to use money here," he said. "This is our best option."

"Alright," you agreed. "Enter quietly it is."

The two of you approached carefully, both of you hesitant to open the door despite the decision. Wirt finally grasped the handle and opened the wooden door. He was met with an obstacle, but it was merely the large sheepdog he'd told about. He gingerly pushed him out of the way and opened the door enough to step inside. After you stepped in, he closed the door softly.

The patrons of the tavern continued on in conversation, no one really took notice of the two of you. You both were still quiet while making your way to an empty table. You sat down and leaned in towards Wirt.

"What now?" you whispered.

"We stay low, and things will play out," he whispered back.

And play out they did. A pudgy woman approached and spoke in a very squeaky voice, "How are you two newcomers?"

You glanced at Wirt, who had his face angled away from the woman. You did not blame him a bit; why risk being recognized?

"We lost daylight," you told her. "And we needed a place to wait until dawn."

"Well," she replied. "Lucky for you two, we double as an inn." You smiled some, but she spoke again before you could say anything. "Before I let you stay, who are you two?"

You remembered that they weren't looking for names. She wanted a title, a job, a talent. You drew a blank; what were you to say? The woman orbited the table to come closer to Wirt.

"What's the matter with you?" she asked him.

He kept his face out of her view until he realized he couldn't escape it. Maybe she wouldn't recognize him. After all, he was in a costume last time. What were the odd of her remembering someone from over a year before?

"Why, it's the Pilgrim!" she exclaimed upon seeing him.

Oh boy, you thought. She just had to recognize him, didn't she? This time, you shielded your face, not wanting any false conclusions to be drawn. That would make this night truly dreadful.

~~~A/N- So.. First and foremost, I apologize for this horribly long delay. I thought I had posted all the parts. But since it appears that I had not, I will be posting the rest of this story tonight. Also, the last chapter was pretty bad, I'll admit, and I know this one is cliché. But I thought, these people are so wild, I can develop the story in almost any way.. So, just bear with me.~~~