Chapter 26

You looked around the bus the next day and saw no signs of Wirt. He would have gotten on the bus with you anyway, but you just had to be sure he wasn't there. You sighed as you sat near the front of the bus. Your mom couldn't drive you today, but you didn't really care. You stared out the window, ignoring all the mindless chatter behind you.

Once at the school you got off the bus and began walking to the entrance of the school when a familiar voice called you.

"Hey! (Y/n)!" you turned around and saw Greg bounding toward you.

"Hi, Greg," you smiled.

Seeing him like this wasn't uncommon as Greg's school was practically across the street from yours. What you didn't expect to see was Wirt following behind him.

"Wirt!" you smiled. "I didn't th-th-think you were coming."

"Mom said I should," he fiddled his hands.

"I'll see you, Wirt!" Greg called, crossing the street with a group of kids who had ridden the bus.

"G-g-greg has to be with me to and from school." Wirt explained. "Mom was worried."

"I'm glad you're back," you told Wirt.

He began to walk to the doors with you, talking as you walked. "I read what you g-g-gave me."

"Yeah? Sorry about leaving like th-th-that. I guess I was tired and didn't have great judgment," you quickly said.

"It's fine," he looked at his hands. "I was being a bit abrupt. I really liked what you wrote."

"Really? You know, th-th-that's what I was doing in th-th-the park when it happened," you said quietly.

"It was a sort of encouragement I wasn't finding elsewhere," you two reached Wirt's first class. "Thank you." He said as he entered the room. You continued to your class and went about your day until lunch, where you scanned the cafeteria for Wirt.

You found him sitting at a half filled table. You hurried over so you could sit with him. You both had brought bagged lunch, as you usually did.

"Hello," you greeted, sitting next to him.

He smiled and nodded. "How were c-c-classes?"

"Boring, but didn't last long. Yours?"

"Same thing," he replied. "Lunch period is always the best."

"Study hall, too," you added.

He nodded in agreement. "Here." He handed you a small paper box, small enough to fit in the palm of his hand. "From G-g-greg and me. Don't open it until you're home."

"Alright." You took the box gratefully and tucked it into your backpack. "Th-th-thank you."

You continued eating in silence until someone sat across from the two of you. You knew him solely by his voice.

"Hey, guys." It was Jason Funderberker. Wirt wasn't too fond of him so you replied.

"Hello." You smiled.

"You two were gone a while," he noted. "We were beginning to wonder if you were coming back."

"Yeah," you admitted. "It was pretty long. But th-th-things are improving, so we can come to school again."

"We all heard what happened," he said. "We were just glad you guys were okay."

You smiled, but didn't say any more. He began talking with someone else, and your brief conversation replayed in your head.