Chapter 27 - Epilogue

You rushed down the stairs of the old house upon hearing the cry. It didn't seem a cry of pain or horror, but it was a cry none the less. You rounded the corner to the living room and saw Greg, being pounced upon by two children.

"Uncle Greg! Uncle Greg!" they called out.

He smiled and gave them hugs.

"You're early," you told him, a smile creeping onto your face.

"The traffic was better than I thought," he replied.

You gave him a hug. "I'm glad." You pulled back. "I'll go get Wirt."

Greg nodded then began speaking to the children. They recounted their adventures on the playground and in the park. He laughed and engaged them with questions and praises of their bravery. You smiled to yourself as you made your way upstairs.

It was hard to believe that the young man in your living was the little boy you used to babysit. He was still as optimistic and goofy as ever, but he'd grown in more ways than one. He understood more, he saw more, and he loved more. He'd always been a loving kid, but it was different now.

You found Wirt, reading a book. He barely looked up and asked, "Was everything alright?"

"Greg's here early," you told him.

He looked up from the book and smiled. "What are we waiting for then? Let's g-go talk with him."

The symptoms of the lightning strike all those years ago were fading, but sometimes an old stutter, a twitchy hand, or a forgotten moment would remind them of the things that had happened. Greg had been told all that had happened, so, along with his experience in the Unknown, he was able to help both of you through the years. You three helped each other.

You and Wirt hurried down the stairs, not wanting to waste a moment with Greg. When you reached the living room, Greg was in the middle of telling the kids a story. They sat, thoroughly engrossed as they always were. He brought the grand adventure to a close, evoking a laugh and a sigh of awe from the children.

You clapped your hands together. "Bravo!" Greg looked up and chuckled. He stood and greeted Wirt with a hug and a wide smile.

"You should really visit more often," Wirt told him.

"I get breaks with the school year," Greg said. "That's why I spend Christmas and other holidays with you."

Greg taught at an elementary (primary) school. He loved the kids, and they loved him. He lived about half a day's drive away, but between grading, parent conferences, and after-hour tutoring, he could hardly find a moment in the time not spent at school to come visit. Greg always came by for holidays, though. And Christmas being only a few days away increased the overall, household excitement.

"Uncle Greg," your younger child spoke up. "Will you be staying for the new year?"

"I sure will!" he exclaimed. "We can light sparklers, so long as you don't catch the bushes on fire."

She giggled and nodded. No such thing had happened in the past, but Wirt had expressed his concern of the amount of flammable things in the yard the first year Greg suggested the activity. Now, Greg brought it up every year.

"Very funny, Greg," he smiled. "But at least make a pile of the sticks this time. Last Fourth of July, (y/n) and I spent half a day searching for them in the yard."

"Deal," he smiled.

You looked around the room. You had a beautiful family before you, and you couldn't imagine what would have become of it had you made the mistake of staying in the Unknown.

A couple years after college, Wirt had built up the courage to pop the question. Your parents had been asked prior, of course. He had taken you to the park where you'd sat and talk for hours upon hours during those Saturday afternoons. You had thought you were just going to talk until he got down on one knee and began reciting a poem. You'd said yes faster than you thought possible.

A few years later, you'd found out you were expecting. And so, along came your son and your daughter, now eight and six years old respectively. Your son loved listening to music and your daughter was simply enchanted with nursery rhymes. Wirt had even made up some new ones because she wanted to hear more.

More than two decades had passed since the strike. Sometimes you would still wake up and have reassure yourself of your surroundings, but having Wirt by your side made it easier. Sometimes he would lose his temper over nothing, but you were always there to calm him down. Lingering effects of that day made life more difficult at times, but brought you closer together.

Your children didn't yet know the full extent of what had happened, but they knew that certain subjects were to be avoided. They knew not to ask about the old tape player in the attic, or why they couldn't use a certain old cloak for their games.

Though you had been broken, you were held together. Seeing Greg, silly, lovable, little Greg playing and goofing around with your kids made your heart flutter. You kept seeing the little Greg that had bought polka-dotted socks for his frog, the Greg that was ecstatic about telling you how plants grow, the Greg who had invented rock facts. And to see that little kid playing with a new generation was something you couldn't describe.

You smiled. That was all you could do express the euphoria you felt. You were filled to the brim with joy. Things had surely changed for the better and would only continue to do so.

And as this story draws to a close, keep in mind the small paper bird. The paper bird that had fallen apart years ago, but always stayed in the hearts of those three friends.

~~~A/N- Man you're old. Just kidding.. I hope you liked this conclusion to the story. And you'll noticed that Frog-erburker's condition wasn't mentioned. Let's just say.. Frogs have a short life span, but he will be always remembered. Anything I forgot to talk about or you would like me to mention? Comment away! Until another story, I will see you!~~~