Fifteen

I was holding Isaac in the garden when Cooper came running out.
"You need to hide."
He said out of breath, glancing back at the way he came from.

I quickly hid behind some hedges, holding Isaac tightly to my chest. Someone else came into the garden and I held my breath.

"Where is she, American?"
Ian's voice rang in my ears and I held Isaac tightly. There was a gun shot and Cooper fell down lifeless in front of me.

I covered my mouth when suddenly Isaac was taken from me. There was another gun shot and he dropped to the ground.

"No!"
I screamed, tears streaming down my face. Ian's face appeared and he pointed the gun at me.

Suddenly he was tackled by Nikolai, who was bleeding from the stomach and shoulder.

A new man appeared and he shot Nikolai and Ian. He smirked at me and pointed his gun at me.

I heard the gunshot before I woke up, Nikolai shaking me.
"Emma! You're ok, it's ok."
He exclaimed as he pulled me into him. It felt like I couldn't breathe.

I clung to Nikolai and breathed his scent in, tears flowing down my cheeks.
"It was awful."
I whispered.

"It's okay. Just go back to sleep. I'll protect you."
He replied, stroking my hair. I held him close as I dared to close my eyes again.

**

I woke up and Isaac lay beside me, Nikolai on the other side. I smiled at Nikolai and he smiled back.

He reached over and stroked my face. I closed my eyes as he did so, his hand was soft and comforting.

He pulled his hand away and I opened my eyes to look at Isaac. He was still sleeping between us.

"Do you want to talk about your nightmare?"
Nikolai asked me and I nodded, looking up at him.

"I was in the garden and Cooper came to tell me to hide. All of a sudden he was shot, Isaac was taken from me and.....he killed him."
I began, tears began to stream down my face and Nikolai quickly got out of bed.

He walked over to my side and wrapped his arms around me, holding me tightly.

"Suddenly you were there, you had been shot already but you tackled Ian down, then you were both shot by this new man. He turned towards me and I heard the gun shot, but I woke up."
I told him, wiping my stray tears away.

Nikolai stroked my hair and sighed.
"I'll protect you and Isaac. Don't worry."
He whispered and I leaned into him until I calmed down.

He released me awhile after and went back to his side of the bed. He sighed, when Isaac woke up.

He smiled at me and I smiled back. I picked him up and held him close to me.
"Goodmorning Isaac."
I whispered and he gurgled.

"I realized we missed your birthday."
Nikolai announced and I smiled at him.
"It's fine. I was at the cottage, plus we missed yours also."
I replied and he sighed.

"It's ok Nikolai."
I reasurred him and he nodded, giving me a small smile.
"C'mon Isaac is probably hungry."
I announced, sitting up.

"I let you sleep in, he's eaten already."
Nikolai replied and I smiled at him.
"Thanks."
"Anything for my wife."
He replied and I smiled even wider.

"I'm going to take you and Isaac to the garden today."
He said and I smiled.
"That'd be nice."
I replied and he nodded.

**