Chapter 11

The three of them headed down several alleys, looking for any signs of what was happening. They heard soldiers rush by and hid in the shadows. "Maria Ross has escaped! Find her quickly!" one of the soldiers shouted, spurring the others on.

"Maria escaped? Makes our lives easier," murmured Char.

"Yeah, except we dont know where she is. Let's split up, we'll cover more ground that way," decided Ed, and they all went off in different directions, Fenrir following Char.

She ran down alley after alley, hoping for a sign of Maria. She heard footsteps and turned, spotting a person running down. She tried to sense them and realised one was female, the other an armour-bound soul. She began to follow them, using their presences to tell her where they were when she couldnt see them.

Char reached an alley that connected to two more and stopped in surprise. Maria Ross was standing there, the armour-bound soul that had been fighting Al at Labratory 5 standing with her. Infront of them was Ed. "Run down there! You'll be safe," the soul said, pointing to a connecting alley. Maria turned and ran down it, racing away.

The soul held off Ed for a while, but completely ignored Char, so she slipped past it undetected. She followed Maria down the alley, then there was a sudden bang and she covered her face. As soon as the incredible heat stopped she ran forward again before stopping and staring.

Mustang stood there, a torched figure infront of him. On their wrist was a chain saying 'Maria Ross'. Char baulked and backed up as Mustang looked at her with cold eyes. The next second Ed came running round the corner, paling when he saw the figure.

"Wh-Why? She didnt do it! Why did you do that to her?!" Ed shouted. Mustang turned away without replying. Ed ran at him, trying to punch him, before Mustang grabbed his collar and threw him back.

"Trying to assault a superior, Fullmetal? Try it again and I'll do to you what I did to that," he said, motioning with his head at the body. Ed gritted his teeth as Mustang walked off, joining some other soldiers which had arrived. Char grabbed Ed's wrist, pulling him back, while something inside her mind screamed at her that something wasnt right.

Ed lay on the couch in the room, ignoring everyone and not talking. Char just sat on the floor, her back to the wall, trying to figure out what was wrong with the whole scene. Al was sitting stroking Fenrir.

"Damn that Colonel bastard.." Ed muttered for the hundredth time.

"Brother, he must have had a good reason for doing it. Maybe if you give him a chance to explain.." began Al before suddenly Char cut him off with a triumphant, "That's it!" Both boys looked at her, Ed with a glare.

"What's it?" asked Al.

"The thing that's wrong about the whole scene! Maria Ross is..." she started before the door burst open and Armstrong burst in. He walked over to Ed and picked him up over his shoulder.

"Poor Edward Elric! Your automail is broken! I shall take you to Resembool for maintenance!" he bellowed.

"Um, okay, let's go then," Al said with a note of surprise. He and Char stood up, starting to follow, when Armstrong looked back at them.

"No Alphonse! You would stick out too much! Miss Charlya Elric shall accompany us!" he declared, grabbing her wrist and leading her out.

"H-H-Hey! Wait!" she cried as he dragged her outside and to a car.

The soldier lowered the phone and stood up, facing Mustang and saluting. "Sir, Edward and Charlya Elric have got onto a train with Louis Armstrong!" Mustang smiled.