Chapter 41

Walking back through the arch, like she hadn’t escape through it only a few hours ago, Kallai tried to ignore the dampness of her palms. Walking to either side of her, neither Shuu nor Sevilen looked uncomfortable. In fact, her cousin looked almost happy, walking forward with a faint smile as he hummed. Shuu, on the other hand, kept his eyes moving, alert to everything around them, though his posture remained loose.

            The school hadn’t changed in the time she’d been away, but Kallai couldn’t help but feel like it looked different. The problems that had consumed her only months ago now seemed so small and petty, in comparison to what she faced now. What was not being able to do magic properly compared to being imprisoned and possibly executed, simply for being born with a different kind of magic?

            The path beneath her feet was familiar, the winding route leading up the grassy rise to where the tower sat. It’s thick, tall walls loomed over them, blotting out the sun with its grey stone. Looking up at it from so close made Kallai realize just how high it really was. And how very easily she could have died, if she fallen down after Shuu had brought her there. Shivering slightly at the thought, she focused her attention on the stout wood doors they were nearing. They lay open as if the tower itself was trying to swallow them.

            Kallai wanted to reach out and grab both Shuu’s and Sevilen’s hands, to have the reassurance of physical contact, but didn’t dare. Not when she could see the soldiers just inside the doorway, armed, and obviously guarding the place. Any sign of weakness from them, any hint they weren’t powerful enough not to be trifled with, and they’d likely find themselves under attack.

            The first step into the shade of the tower’s innards had Kallai swallowing. Their footsteps slapped against the marble veneer that lay over the brown stone that made up the tower’s interior. It alone, at least on the inside, was made of a different rock, one Kallai, in her admittedly limited experience, hadn’t seen anywhere else. What had her insides turning to ice though, was the sight of the people lined up in the centre of the building.

            The Councillors’ robes of pure white, with only the embroidered sleeves to differentiate them, were clear even at a distance. Beside them stood a man wearing a nearly identical uniform to the soldiers guarding the doors and the ones who’d first come for Kallai. Only the gold suns that marched down his collar told her that he was a high-ranking officer and no mere foot soldier. Mixed in with them were several people wearing the black coat-robes of licensed Magi and a handful of people wearing the height of fashion, with waistcoats, jackets, and dresses made of bright, beautifully patterned fabrics.

            Sevilen led the way over, his almost skipping gait not reassuring Kallai in the least. He stopped them in front of the assembled officials, saluting them with an overblown flourish as they all stopped talking to stare. Kallai swallowed again, but kept her head up, returning gazes even as she felt like throwing up. Beside her, Shuu studied them, his face showing nothing but boredom, as if he met country leaders every day.

            “Welcome to you all, and thank you all for coming on such short notice!” Sevilen said, smiling. “I am certain you will find our demonstrations to be most informative as well as interesting.”

            “This is most unusual, Magi Magan,” said one of the female Councillors, gently cooling herself with a scarlet fan.

            “Fear not, Councillor, what you will bear witness will change not only our views on magic, but this country itself. For the better, of course.”

            Shuu snorted faintly. Kallai flicked her gaze over to him, trying to say with only her eyes that he needed to be quiet, that they needed to appear united. She could feel her stomach clench, fear eating its way up her spine, leaving fingers of ice in its wake. He caught her look and made a face. He made no other noise, instead letting his gaze slide away from the crowd in front of them to the tower itself.

            Kallai had barely turned to watch Sevilen when an odd whining noise had her jerking back to face Shuu. Even as she looked on, he fell to his knees, his face the colour of fresh milk, his eyes wide and unseeing. His hand went straight out in front of him, catching himself before his face collided with the floor, though his palms hit with enough force to leave bruises. His red hair fell around his face, hiding it from view.

            Kallai was on her knees beside him in an instant. She brushed his hair aside, revealing blue eyes that were still enormous and locked into a blank stare that didn’t take in the stone that was all that lay in front of him. She reached out and gently touched his shoulder. “Shuu?” she said, voice wavering as fear made its way into her throat, threatening to choke her. “What’s wrong?”

            The roar that burst from him came only a second before the winds exploded, sending everyone flying backwards.