one

chapter one

chapter one

What's up with Merlin and why are wizards obsessed with his pants?

That was the question running through Rosie's mind as she looked contently out her window at the quaint village before her eyes. She loved that her parents decided to settle down in such a quiet, simple area; Kingham village was wonderfully peaceful, secluded, and had a healthy wizard population.

In the corner of her eye, Rosie saw a brown barn owl swoop towards her home and watched as it tapped on her window. Her bright smile grew when she immediately recognised the neat writing on the paper.

Dear Rosie,

How has your summer been so far? My summer's been very eventful, I'm currently at James' house with Sirius and Peter -- we took an overnight camping trip to the woods a few days ago. It was really tiring and we got a bit bruised up. Anyways, I'm sorry that I haven't written to you for a while, things came up and I nearly forgot while I was visiting James - this is his owl, by the way. I was wondering if you would like to go supplies shopping with James, Sirius, Peter and me if you haven't already with Lily or Marlene. I'll see you soon!

Love, Remus.

p.s. James' owl likes treats.

On cue, the owl nipped impatiently at her sleeve. Rosie rolled her eyes playfully before handing the small owl a treat. She quickly grabbed a piece of parchment, a quill, and ink from her desk to write her response to Remus.

Rem,

I've been having a great time, thank you. I went to Lily's house for a week and got the pleasure to meet her sister who doesn't really like me for all I can tell. I've also been going over some of our school books for this year and got to go see some muggle attractions and shops! It's great that you've had a fun time as well and I hope that I'll be able to formally meet your friends soon if they're not too busy pranking or dragging you into detention with them. I also have some good news! 

Dumbledore chose me to be prefect, and I'm assuming that you're the other prefect? Anyways, I'm going to have to turn down your offer on going to Diagon Alley with you guys, I'm pretty busy with my parents and I've already done the shopping with Lily. I'll see you soon!

With much love, Rosie.

p.s. Couldn't you have told me in the beginning of the letter?

Rosie grabbed an envelope as she finished the last word and quickly sealed it. She handed the envelope to the owl, and asked it to take it back to Remus.

"Rosaline!" her mother, Eliza, called from downstairs, causing her to jump in shock and hit the crown of her head against the glass window pane.

"What?" she yelled in response while gingerly rubbing the crown her head.