027

Twenty-Seven | Psycho Killer

I stared at the Mikaelson standing before me in disbelief, "You're back."

Elijah started taking small strides towards me, "I am."

Without thinking I ran into his arms and embraced him tightly. His arms wrapped around me and he held me with a similar force. One of his hands held onto the back of head. After a few seconds we pulled away. My eyes met his, ones that I hadn't looked into for a long time.

He gently ran his hand down the side of my face, "I told you I'd find my way back to you, Cassandra."

"And you did." I beamed.

He remained silent for a moment, pulling his eyebrows together, "You and Damon -- "

I interupted him, " -- are not together."

"If I may ask, how come?" He asked, seeming confused.

I exhaled, "I've been waiting for you, for months. I want to talk to you about us. Klaus brought all these memories of us back and a whole lot of feelings came with it. And thanks to him, I was unconcious for five whole days which triggered most of the memories."

He became concerned, "What did Klaus do to you?"

"Bonnie said it was something called a Sleeping Beauty curse but she unlinked me from it." I sat down on the bed. Elijah took a seat next to me. "Before that I told Damon to move on, he obviously did. And I've been so confused about my feelings but seeing you standing there just then confirmed my choice."

I turned my head to stare out of the window as I let out a small quiet laugh, "Mystic Falls is so dramatic compared to New Orleans."

"Tell me about it." Elijah exhaled.

I sighed, "I miss our small apartment."

"Maybe we could go back?" Elijah suggested.

I shook my head and turned my head to him, "No. I can't leave everyone here. I need them as much as they need me."

"Okay, then maybe I could stay here. I searched for you, Cassie, every day. I looked everywhere for you, I had to be with you. But I couldn't find you and when I saw first saw you here -- every time I see you, as you said, those feelings came back too."

"Well, you found me." I smiled, standing up.

I moved over to the window, staring out again. I imagined New Orleans lit up underneath the dark sky. Our apartment filled with the smell of the vanilla candle that burned on the table by the sofa. Elijah sitting on the sofa, listening to the soft music bouncing off the record player that he enjoyed. I missed it.

"Elijah..." I turned around to see he was now standing inches away from me, making my breath hitch.

His face moved closer to mine as he placed his hand on my cheek and stroked it with his thumb. My heartbeat quickened at his touch. His lips soon pressed against mine and I didn't hesitate to kiss him back. I couldn't quite catch how it made me feel, but it was definitely different.

▂▂▂▂

My eyes were shut and it I felt as though I couldn't open them. Was I asleep or concious? Was yesterday just another memory?

Maybe it was. Elijah was daggered, so how would it have been possible that he was here? Surely Klaus hadn't undaggered him. No, it had to be an illusion. Or a memory. Or --

"Cassie, hey." A voice cut through my thoughts. I couldn't open my eyes but I could feel was my body slightly shaking.

I felt my head jerk to the side. Maybe someone is inside my head. What if I was unconcious still? What if I was making yesterday up to keep myself sane, or someone was controlling it for me? I felt my body twitching and my mouth let out short gasps.