Chapter 2

The next few minutes were very blurry. Mom was rushing, putting everything she wanted to take with her into the car trunk, along with my stuff, accompanied with background shouting and arguing and pleads on dad's side. That, and complaints from the neighbours as the fighting was taken outside and along the stairs. But they were in vain. Soon we were headed off and on our way to Liam's.

Both our moods were down. I was too shocked to speak, which is very unusual for me to not speak for 2 straight hours.

About 30 more minutes of driving and mom abruptly stopped on the side of the road. She turned off the engine and looked me dead in the eyes. I've never seen her this... determined. She looked like she'd kill to get what she wants right now, and only God knew what she wanted.

"Mom you're scaring me." I stated nervously. "What's wrong? why'd we stop?"

"Because I won't have this. I'm not gonna let that stupid excuse of a husband,  an ex husband,  ruin this for us" she finally spat out. "We're gonna stop by a diner, have a nice meal,  freshen up, and be as happy as we were just this morning. Okay?"

Frankly, I was more than okay with that. This is what we needed.  A new start,  a new life,  with new people and new friends. Mom needed this,  and I did too.

After a few miles of driving again, accompanied by silence once more, not as uncomfortable however,  we stopped at a decent looking diner. It wasn't like those diners in movies where the first thing that comes to mind is murder in the toilets in the back. It was actually really neat and vintage styled. The seatings were red leather and the table tops were white. It wasn't crowded but not empty either. A waiter was with us the second we sat down, and immediately handed us menus with an actual genuine smile and a "Welcome to Betsy's".

I was scanning the menu when a loud thud on the table jerked me up. Mom apparently slapped both her palms on the table and looked a bit shocked.

"I forgot to tell Liam that we're on our way!" her voice made everyone's eyes on our table. She gave them a sheepish smile and lowered her head a bit, still looking at me. "Order me a chicken salad and a diet coke while I go out and phone him" she said as she scurried off to the door.

I did as she asked and gave the waiter, whose name was Leon according to his name tag, our order. I ordered a burger with sweet corn, which he thought was really weird but laughed it off anyway. What can I say, I love corn.

I got really bored so I started looking at everyone until my eyes settled on mom, who I could see from the window on my right. She was pacing back and forth, her unoccupied hand going in any and every direction.

That phone call seemed like it's going to be long so I told Leon to postpone our meal for a few minutes.

He went to the kitchen through those swinging doors and came back shortly after without his apron and hat, which were gray if you were wondering.

I was surprised that he didn't go towards the doors to leave, but instead approached my table again.
“Do you mind if I sit here for a bit?” he asked nicely, followed by the same genuine smile he'd been wearing since ever we entered this lovely diner. I wasn't sure what was I supposed to say. What confused me more than him asking that, is the fact that I was speechless. I had always been the charismatic Evan that can make rocks talk through his charm.
“You zoned out immensely” his voice made me snap back to reality.

“Sure it's fine” the words came out of my mouth robotically.

“Just for a few minutes, I have to wait for my boss to finish something in her office and I'll leave you to enjoy your meal”

I probably sounded rude when I said “I don't mean to sound rude”. However he kept smiling, “but why my table precisely?”

He took a quick glance all around as if his eyes scanned each person in 0.3 seconds. “You're the only one sitting alone, and I assumed your mother is on the phone and they tend to take some time, ” He chuckled a bit, “and since we both are waiting why not? If you don't mind of course”.

I felt so mean.

“No sure it's really okay”. For the first time since I got here I took a really good look at his face. He had nice features and dark black hair with deep brown eyes. He looked handsome, but a stubble would've made him look hot.

We talked for a while. I learned that he'd been working here since he was 17 (he's 19 now), and he likes it because the staff is really nice and the environment is friendly. In turn, I told him that it's my junior year and he got a short summary of my life. However, I skipped the dad part. I just said that we're moving out to a different town.

His boss showed up mid talk so he excused himself after an “It was nice to meet you, Evan”. He said “Evan” funnily. His accent wasn't American, but I couldn't identify it, so it was more like “E-Van”, but I liked it.

After an eternity, the small chiming of the bell up the door announced that someone had entered, which was mom thankfully.

“What took you so long?!” I didn't like the look on her face. It was one of those there's-a-problem-but-you-shouldn’t-worry looks. Spoiler alert: I worry.

“We have a teeny tiny problem” she squeaked. Like a rat.

“I knew it”

“Liam's renovating your room because he was expecting us in 3 days so it's not ready yet, and since his son is allergic to paint fumes he's staying at his grandparents’ for a couple of weeks.

My smile was expanding with every word she said. “What do you mean problem that's fantastic!”. Her eyebrow arched. “I mean… that's.. Really unfortunate and I'm terribly sad that I won't get to meet Liam's son today. What's even his name?”

“Isaac. Now where’s the food? I'm starving”. 

Isaac. It was a cool name. I liked it.

I was glad. Mom was herself again, as if the whole incident this morning hasn't shook her up. And I was getting better myself, albeit having a few words stuck in my mouth that they were desperately needed to be spat at the man I call my father.

We did not wait much for the food, and it was served by another waiter since Leon had left. We ate in silence like we generally do, and soon enough we were back on the roads for a couple more hours of driving. We had to stop twice for gas. I bought gum both times.

When we passed the “Welcome to Rivertown” sign, it was almost sunset. The sky had turned to a lovely swirl of pinks and blues, covered by a thin blanket of clouds. I did not see anything past that because I fell asleep. 

A/N: A bit shorter chapter but that's what I managed in a few days. I'll try to update every 3-4 days. Thanks for reading! Vote if you like it :)