C.13~ Stressed Out

Xavier picked me up and drove me to school the next few days.

Any time I would question him on it, he would only shrug the question off. He would occasionally say it was because he wanted to be nice, but I thought different. I believed that he was pitying me because I was being kept up non stop by my nightmares and Lily, and the rumors at school only seemed to be getting worse.

"You don't have to baby me, you know." I whispered on the way back home Friday afternoon. He glanced sideways at me as he pulled out of the parking lot.

"Baby you?" He laughed, "Bea, I'm being nice. You don't have to be so defensive, you know. I'm new to this whole friend and caring about people thing." I shifted in the passengers seat and looked out the frost covered window.

I can barely even comprehend that Thanksgiving is only in a couple months away and Christmas is only a month after. That means graduation is getting closer and closer, and honestly I don't know if I'm ready for it.

"So. . . um, please don't shoot me but my mom asked if I wanted you to come over for dinner and I said yes." I watched him wince, almost as if he were afraid I was going to reach over and smack him. I smiled instead, staring past him out the window where the trees passed by in a green blur.

"Lily. . ."

"Lily will be coming with us." He cut me off with a sheepish smile. He's actually kind of cute when he's nervous.

Wow, what the hell? Where did that thought come from?

"I haven't even agreed to go yet." I raised an eyebrow, "Are you going to force me too?" A smug smirk made it's way on to his face.

"Of course I am, Bea. I'll carry you in if I have to." He joked.

"Bridal style?" I responded with a laugh. He sent me a quick glance, nodding.

"Definitely." I laughed quietly as I turned back to look out my window. It wasn't until a few seconds later that I realized what had just happened. Had. . . had we just flirted?

"Your mom likes me then?" I broke the silence, trying to spark up another conversation.

"A lot, actually. She respects you for deciding to keep Lily." He was

talking quietly again, I really didn't know whether that was a good sign or not.

"Oh." Great response, Bea, great response.

"My dad and his new wife and kids will be there too. I honestly just think my mom wants to shove Lily and you in his face, so he thinks we're doing great." I recoiled against my seat, feeling my chest tighten a little.

Never in my life had I met someone so strong, yet broken beyond repair. Xavier Morgan is one of the strongest people I know, he's ten times stronger then I'll ever be. He somehow, through all of his problems, finds time to spend time with Lily when he doesn't even have to. He didn't deserve any of the crap he was going through, at least not from what I know. He couldn't have possibly done anything to deserve all of this, right?

*

"Be back before twelve!" Brice yelled after me as I jogged down the stairs.

"I'm not a child, Bri. I can stay out as long as I want." I answered, reaching for Lily's carrier in the middle of the living room. Brice was sprawled out on the couch watching NASCAR, his eyes flickering back and forth between the TV and me.

"You're out with a guy, that means you better be home before twelve. You aren't eighteen yet, Sis. You wouldn't want Dad finding out about you being out all night with Xavier, now do you?" My brother wiggled his finger in the air suggestively.