Chapter 14

Axton POV

She stares at me at a complete loss for words. I'm right and she knows it. If I had rejected her then we couldn't be this close together. There would only be pain and hurt, but instead there is fire and electricity.

"You know I'm right," I say, my body still leaning over hers, "I can see it in your eyes."

She takes a deep breath as we continue staring at each other. I watch as the thoughts whirl in her head as I became lost in the warmth of her eyes. The same eyes I memorized all those years ago. The same eyes I had hold onto since the moment she left.

Convince her! Knox yells at me before whining, I want my mate back.

So do I, I remind him.

"How can I convince you?" I ask her, "How can I prove to you that it wasn't me?"

She pauses for a second, seeming to think over my question, "I don't know," she breathes out. She pushes away from me and walks to the middle of the room. She starts playing with the bottom of her hair, a nervous tick she still has, as she thinks about what to say, "I don't know how you can prove it. I don't know how to explain why I can still feel the bond."

"Then trust me. You feel the bond because I didn't break it. Please, trust me Ellie," I plead with her, taking steps toward her again.

"God, I want to Axton," she says, "But I've gone down this road before. When Reid found me, he convinced me that it wasn't you. I wanted to believe it so much that I came back, only to see you wanting someone else. That wasn't faked."

"I don't know how to explain that, El," I tell her, trying to make her see, "The only thing I can tell you is that it wasn't me, and I'm going to prove it to you."

"How are you going to do that?" she asks, her eyes staring into mine.

"I don't know," I close the distance between us and wrap my arms around her waist, "All I know is that for the last seven years, I thought rogues had taken you. Everyone told me that you are dead, and now that I have you back, I never want to let you go."

"Axton-" she starts, but I cut her off.

"Just give me a chance, Ellie. One chance to prove to you that we are mates for a reason. One chance to prove to you that I have always loved you," I beg her to say yes. She bites her bottom lip as she thinks while staring anywhere but my face. Slowly grabbing her chin, I lift her eyes to meet mine, "Please."

"Okay," she whispers.

"What?" I say, shocked that she agreed.

"I'll give you one chance," she says. Grinning like an idiot, I lift her into my arms as I hug her close to me, taking in her scent as I do so. I gently place her on the ground as I continue staring at her, "Please don't make me regret this, Axton."

"I wouldn't dream of it," I tell her.

Without a second think, I close the distance between us and capture her lips with mine. Fireworks explode through my body as I pull her closer, her arms wrapping around my neck as my grip tightens on her waist.

It's like entering heaven as I move my lips against hers.

Pulling back from the perfect bliss, I smile like an idiot.

I finally have my mate back.

*****

I can't keep the smile off my face for the rest of the day. It seems to be permanently plastered there. Ellie says she's staying, conditionally. She'll give me a chance. Now all I have to do is find the proof of a witch, which turns out to be a harder job than I think.