Chapter 32: Nostalgia

So I totally forgot to include the pup in this chapter. Some people thought he abandoned the pup and just dropped him and ran while others were confused as much as me as to where the heck to pup was haha. Im only human I do forget things it's fixed now xx

Jaidan

''Well, hello there beautiful.'' His sinister moss green eyes flickered with amusement at our faces.

We must have looked like surprised children. We were completely off guard, not even Dustin, one of the finest trackers in this area had sensed these rogues surrounding us until we were face to face with them, the mud caking their scents from us.

''Alpha said he was a looker but wow.'' His eyes raked my body sending unpleasant shivers through me as he whistled, drawing attention to us from the cashier inside the store who stood wide-eyed before running out to what I'd assume was their store room to hopefully make a call.

''I'll give you one chance, rogue.'' Tatum spat the word like nothing I had ever heard before, like he was beyond repugnant, beyond scum of the earth, like he was the purest filth.

''This is no man's land sweet heart you're mine for the taking.'' The rogue leader craned his neck to look beyond Tatum and into my scared eyes, flashes of my past run-ins with rogues pulled fresh into my mind.

I could feel my nails biting into my free hand as I clenched it into a fist and held the pup closer, feeling Charlie's eyes on me as I stared beyond the rogues in front of me and into the eyes of a 5-year-old me pulling myself from a tree stump and running into a monster who haunted my nightmares every day since.

''Unfortunately, you're going to have to start humping trees dickface. This babydoll is mated.'' Charlie's fingers latched onto my arm to try and pull me from within myself, even as he shook me my eyes still stayed locked into the nothingness.

I could still hear everyone's words, everyone's threats and warnings, the horrendous barking laughter of maniac wolves and growling of Alic, Dustin and Tatum as Charlie and the pup tried to sooth me back to reality.

My nails broke the skin on my palms, blood slowly spilling through my fingers and onto the dirt road. Charlie began spitting line after line of curses, shaking me back to reality roughly, my world tipping side to side and back to front with his rough shoving, not even the pup wriggling inn my left arm whining and yelping in horror could shake me from my eyes latching onto my nightmare.

''Smells delectable.'' His eyes turned bright red as he shifted into a deep brown wolf with black patches of fur on his ears, tail and stomach, though my eyes trailed towards his snarling muzzle that housed sharp teeth.

My fear rose as my wolf whimpered within me, wanting to tuck our tail and run at the approaching pack of hungry rogues but within seconds Tatum's wolf was in front me accompanied by Alic and Dustin.

They were much larger than most of the rogue members, only their leader being able to match Tatum as they all fell around Dustin's height, maybe a little shorter, though none rivaled Alic's monstrous wolf neither in height nor bulk.

The silence was tense, only a snarl or growl breaking it here and there. The birds were no longer chirping and the critters had all found shelter away from the wolves having a stare down right in front of me.

''Run.'' Charlie whispered in my ear before shoving me into the forest as he changed into a large black cat, his fur smooth and silky, shining just as bright as his large canines that were snarling in the direction of wolves, dripping with saliva.

The force of the shove sent me tumbling to the ground making sure to turn at the last moment so most of the force fell on me instead of the small body protected in my arms before I shifted into my wolf, easily being towered by everyone as an omega. The rogues looked at me for a moment, and a moment was all it took to send most of them flying to the ground with the force of three wolves and a leopard barrelling into them.

I didn't stay to watch as my wolf whimpered, grabbing the pup by its scruff and sent me sprinting off into the woods and towards anything that was not near any scary looking rogues.

My heart was beating in my ears, my legs screaming with the sudden exercise and my eyes darting left to right as I dodged trees and strange noise all around the pup and I. I must have scared every creature in the vicinity away from us as I darted in and out of large grassy areas and soft dirt, easily coating my body in twigs and sticks when I suddenly splashed into the river that separated most of the pack borders and emerged into a bank of muddy sludge.

I felt like I was sinking into quicksand the way my paws were grabbed and pulled down by the mud like weights were tied to my ankles as I tried to lift them and press on with the pup yelping and barking trying to get away as I fought against the sinking ground.

A howl broke the distance, a howl I didn't recognise and knew instantly it was a rogue member, a howl that signaled it had gotten our scent and was on the hunt.

My heart felt like it fell to my stomach before it shot into an adrenaline-fuelled irregular beat, causing my limbs to flail and my eyes to water as I fought the thick muck. It felt counterproductive as I sank further, my stomach tensing up at the chill it caused to shoot through my spine.

When my paws finally hit grass I felt like collapsing and crying with relief but I couldn't. My instincts wanted me to move and get to safety, if not for me, for the pup I held securely in my mouth. I could basically feel the wolf that was on my trail inching close and closer, hopefully, they'd get caught in that mud trap like I did. That would buy us some precious time.

But they didn't.

My steps faltered as I watched a dark wolf creep slowly through shrubbery that had accumulated on top of a log that had fallen over the river.

As the sun dried the mud on my body I took off into the dense forestry, an impending sense of fearful nostalgia grabbed me and felt like it was strangling me with every crack of the mud armour I was wearing as I hid myself behind a tree softly releasing the pup to the floor but nudging him close to my body to keep him hidden.

Whimpers broke freely through my shuddering form as I tried to make myself as small as possible between two intertwined trees that created almost a cage of three walls with vines draping amongst them.

''Well isn't this nostalgic.'' Paws crunched the wind torn leaves that littered the floor. ''I seem to recall something like this not so many years ago.''

My eyes darted around me as it seemed like the wind carried the sounds around me, my senses not being able to grasp a current location of the wolf hunting me. My nose nudged the small body closer into the base of the tree where only his tiny frame could fit but thankfully it was well enough hidden that he was out of immediate danger.

A bubbling chuckle split the silence and it felt like it was echoing all over the forest like a horribly scary movie before jaws crunched onto my scruff and ripped me from my hiding place.

I was released and flung into a tree a few feet away from the dark leader wolf before his body shadowed mine, my head lowering between my paws, tail tucked tightly under me as his wolfish grin widened at the fear that was oozing off of me.

My eyes flickered to the shaking pup who obediently stayed where I had left him. If we were lucky Tatum would find him before the rogue got to him, I could fight if only to spare him a few more moments. 

''Boo.'' Was the only word I heard whispered before blood-stained jaws took all of my vision from me.