Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Clint walked down the hall past his bedroom, his footsteps echoing with every step his boots took. Everyone was out of the house for the time being, and he had a little investigating to do. Bliss was out helping Grace put wash on the clothesline, so he could keep an eye on her through the windows. He approached the door to Damian’s room and opened the door with his uninjured left hand. The hinges squeaked, and Clint knew that snooping in other people’s business was not the desirable way to find out information, but he couldn’t wait a week for that cowboy to return.

A small bed sat in the corner, covered in a comforting quilt and two fluffy pillows at its head. A writing desk graced the far wall in front of the window, the natural light brightening the papers scattered across it. A dresser stood against the wall beside the desk, and a trunk sat on its other side to block the entrance to a closet. Clint’s interest peaked. A man with clothes like Damian would surely want a place to hang up his duds. He walked across the room and moved the trunk aside with his leg, protecting his bandaged hand. His curiosity drove him to take hold of the handle and twist it until it freed the door for opening. The closet contained nothing more than a few dusty books and an old derby hat. Though somewhat disappointed, Clint took the liberty of examining one of the books.

Holy Bible.

His curiosity concerning the things of God drove him even further. He had wanted to know more about this eternal life thing for a long time, but had never found the courage nor lost the pride to ask anyone about it. An envelope stuck out from between the pages and caught his eye. He pulled it out and was about to open it when he heard the front door open. Stuffing the envelope back where he got it, he put the Bible inside his vest to conceal it and shut the closet door before hastily moving the trunk to sit in front of it again. He rushed out of the room and lightly shut the door just as a person entered the kitchen.

“Slade? You in here?” It was Damian.

Clint took a deep breath and walked down the hall. “Yeah, I’m here.”

“Oh, I’ve been looking for you. You keeping an eye on Miss Cooper?” the older man asked him.

Clint nodded. “That’s what I get paid for, isn’t it?”
Damian nodded and looked him up and down, not saying anything.

“Did you need something?” Clint asked.

“Oh,” Damian remembered. “Yeah, Sherman wants to see you out front. Says he’s got something to show you.”

Clint nodded and turned to walk out front; making sure his vest was concealing the dusty book beneath it. He wished the thing wasn’t so tight now. He positioned the book to the baggiest part of the side of his vest and opened the front door to step out on the porch.

Sherman was sitting on one of the wicker chairs with what looked like a note in his hands.

Assuming that the illusive mystery man was leaving notes again, Clint walked over to stand in front of him.

“You wanted to see me, Sherman?” he asked.

Sherman looked up at him. “Yes, sit down.”

Clint reluctantly took a seat beside Sherman and leaned forward with his elbows rested on his knees.

“This note was nailed to the barn,” Sherman handed Clint the thin paper in his hand.

Clint read the note, half expecting another threat on Bliss, but instead he found something much different.

You know what we want. Bring it to the abandoned cabin six miles due east at twelve o’clock Wednesday, or our threats will become reality.