Chapter 12 - Children of the Titans

---

Chapter 12 - Children of the Titans

---

Shift saw the explosion and its debris rocketing towards them and knew there was nothing they could do except watch their demise consume them.

Movement from the corner of his eye drew his attention as Athira raised her hand.

A black wall appeared, stretching across the entirety of Indigo and absorbing the debris into thin air as it collided. Their white outlines didn’t fall to the ground or shatter. They simply disappeared. Heat brushed Shift’s face as the fire to the side of the shield kept going several metres behind them.

She just saved us.

Athira dropped her hand and the shield went with it. “What Reader, found a fire elemental to do your dirty work for you?”

His voice drifted from somewhere within the dock warehouse. “You bring friends, I bring friends. It’s only fair.”

 A shadow appeared in the building. As it moved forward, it became clear that it was two people - one tall and the other small. “The difference is, Athira, only one of us needs them to secure the other. Isn’t that right?”

Shift heard Zoe hiss through her teeth. The light around her hand gathered intensity as she clenched it. “Raph, he’s got a child.”

“Colourless, too,” said Kione. “Although--“

“Feel free to attack any time now, friends,” said Reader, voice sounding bored.

“--there’s more people with colours beneath us,” finished Kione, his scanner already disappearing as the floor buckled underneath them.  

Around their feet, sections of metal sheeting were snapping open, figures shooting up at impossible speeds and quickly surrounding their group, not hesitating to begin their assault.

Raph had a glowing red broadsword in his hands as he charged at the trio driving Kione back. “Tal, get the elemental! Zoe, the kid!”

“Watch the one in the cloak, boys! She’s off her rocker!” called Reader from the sidelines.

Shift flexed his palm, the colour coming instinctively with the adrenaline flooding his system. He took a deep breath, calming his heart even as the first two of Reader’s goons charged towards him.

He ducked under the first swing and back-stepped the next from the second, trying to work out their colour before he shifted one of them and was stuck with it.

Come on, thought Shift. One of you, use something I can work with!

Sure enough, one of them snarled as green colour spiralled up his arms, changing them into thick, clawed limbs.

He’s a green. Shift looked to the other one. Now what are you?

The non-green circled him as bear arms launched his assault. Shift continued to avoid contact, although he knew he couldn’t keep it up much longer. He had to shift something and shift it soon.

Then he felt it. A brush against his mind, trying to weaken his will.

The non green was off to his right, just visible in his peripheral vision and if Shift wasn’t mistaken, had a hand pressed to the side of his head while the other stretched towards Shift.

Gotcha.

Shift faked an advance on bear arms, causing the man to step back. Before he realised what was going on, Shift swapped directions and launched himself at the purple.