Things were getting better

Christie's pov

I woke up in a generally positive mood. It took me a while to figure out why and it was because I was seeing Lana, mum and dad. I got so excited because it was the longest I had ever been without them. I looked at the time and it was seven. I wondered why I hadn't been woken up for weigh in. I thought "yay, no weigh in. I can go back to sleep", but then the door opened. It was the nurse collecting me for weigh in. I knew it was too good to be true. I dragged myself to my feet, stretched and sarcastically smiled at the nurse and she giggled. I put my slippers on and followed the nurse out. I saw everyone, depressed as usual, queuing up against the wall waiting to be called in. I felt like I needed to be sad, but I just wasn't. Whether it was because of the medication I was on, seeing my family or being totally crazy in love with Ellis was a question to me. Maybe it was all factors combined. My mind shot straight to Ellis and if he was okay. I was so mad about him. He was the best thing that had happened to me for a long time. He made life worth living. He gave me hope that I could beat my mind. My mind was in a land far from reality so I didn't hear the doctor calling me in for weigh in. I walked in and sat down.

"You seem awfully chirpy today. What's making you smile so much?" The doctor said as he took his clipboard from the table.

"Ellis. I love him" I said as I smiled.

"Are you sure you two will be a good influence on each other's health?" He said, stopping what he was doing and looked at me concerned.

"I knew people were going to be worried about that, but he really makes me happy, and he said I make him want to live. I think things could start to get better" I said as I stupidly started to cry.

"If you're sure, you should go for it" he said as he directed me to the weighing scales.

I said nothing else and my mind whizzed back into fantasising. Weigh in and health check was finished. I was sat in my room doing my makeup. I wanted to look as good as I felt for my family. I threw on some clothes and went to see Ellis as I still had some time. On my way, the nurse came up behind me and told me I couldn't go to see Ellis. I got so worried.

"Why? What's happened to him? Oh please tell me!" I said as I raised my voice.

"I'm sorry honey, you can't see him right now" she said as she walked away.

My mood and mentality crashed down. I was back to being depressed, once again. I didn't know what was wrong with him. Typical me just thought the worst. I thought he had some medical complication. Or he was dead. I started to shake uncontrollably and I knew straight away that it was the start of a panic attack. I knew I had to prevent it so I went into the lobby area where I could see the outside and it calmed me down. I didn't end up having an attack. Things were dizzy so I sat down. I reached to the table to read some leaflets on the hospital because I was so bored waiting for my family. I got so engrossed in every word I read. I ended up reading three whole leaflets. One on the hospital itself, one on depression and anxiety and one on bipolar disorder. It took me to a different place. It was interesting to me and that's when I realised I wanted a career in mental health. During my readings, I felt two hands lay on my shoulders. I turned around and it was Lana. It was like a light was shining down on her. I was so happy to see her. I can't even describe the way I felt. I hugged her so tight and she kissed me on the head.

"Hello you. How are you honey?" She said, with tears of joy filling her eyes.

"I'm so much better with you here. I've miss you so bad" I said as I went in for another hug.

During the hug my while my chin was resting on Lana's shoulder, I saw my parents. For the first time since I first met Lana, I was happier to see my mum and dad than to see Lana. I stepped back from the hug and slowly walked up to them. I looked at them and they looked back. We waited for a few seconds and then all three of us hugged. I got shivers down my whole body because I felt like I was home. They followed me through into the visiting room where we sat down. I didn't know what to say. I was surprised at how awkward I was feeling. No one talked for a while. I was praying for someone to break the dreadful silence.

"So, what's it like here darling?" Asked my mum.

"It's okay I guess. I've made friends" I replied as I smiled.

"Oh yeah, who's this 'boy' then, eh? You know, the one in the letter the nurse read to us on the phone?" Asked my dad while smirking.

"Uhhhhh dad, I hate it when you talk like that. Whatever. His name is Ellis and we have gotten close, but... nevermind" I stopped myself.

"No, go on. What is it sweetheart?" Said Lana, which was the first thing she had said since being in that room.

"He is in medical because he tried something bad. I went to see him today but I was stopped. I thought he had died, but they would have told all of us by now. I just think he doesn't want to see me" I said as I looked down to my shaking hands.

"Umm... Christie? Is this Ellis guy tall, skinny with messy brown hair?" Asked Lana as her straight mouth curved into a smile.

"Uh yes, how do you know?" I said as I looked to my mum who was smiling with a frown.

Lana moved her eyes from me to above my head. I started to turn my head while still side eyeing Lana. I turned round but before I could actually see who it was, I felt two arms wrap round me and the weight of a body invade me. Obviously I knew it was Ellis at that point. He pulled away from the hug before I even had chance to hug him back. He bent down and put his hands on my cheeks. He kissed me. My first kiss and it was in front of my parents and idol. Who would've known? I smiled as he kissed me, and he slightly kissed my teeth as I was grinning. I felt so warm and happy. I stood up and jumped on him like a baby monkey on their mother. I kissed him back. I remembered what he said when I visited him in medical two days before. I looked at him.

"I fancy you too, idiot" I said while smiling wide. I hugged him again.

He put me down and held my hand. My dad walked up to him.

"So, you must be the famous Ellis? I mean, I hope you are after what I've just witnessed". That was my dad's poor attempt at a joke.

"I am. It's nice to meet you. I've heard so much about you" Ellis replied.

I looked to Lana, who was watching me. I let go of Ellis' hand and went to Lana. We went to side of the room. I didn't say anything but just hugged her. She kissed me on the forehead as she pulled away from the hug.

"You really like him, don't you?" She said with tears forming.

"Yes, I do. He makes me so happy. Please don't cry, this is a happy moment" I said as I handed her a tissue. I got used to carrying tissues around because I was crying a lot in that dreadful hospital.

"I'm having tears of joy baby. I'm happy. So so happy. Never in a million years did I think you'd be here. I can't even remember what I was like before I knew you" she said, still crying.

"Hey, hey. Don't you go getting all emotional and soppy on me now, you know I can't deal with it" I said while chuckling.

"I'm sorry. I can't help it" she said while laughing.

"I know you can't. I can't even describe how much you have helped me. Thank you" I said.

"You're welcome. It's all worth it just to see you happy and smiling" she said.

I smiled and took her hand. We went back to my parents and Ellis, where they were still talking. I look at Ellis, then my mum and my dad and then Lana. Then, I look at myself in the mirror opposite me and smiled because for the first time in forever, I liked what I saw.

Things were getting better.