Moving Forward

I hugged him tighter. I didn't want to let go.

"It hurts." I whispered.

"I know." He nuzzled softly

-Hinata and Momiji

Momiji opened his eyes, blinding light burned him and he closed them once again.

When he blinked them open he realized where he was.

He was at their cliff. The place he had taken her to watch the sunrise. The place where he had comforted her. The place he hadn't been in nearly 3 years.

Hinata was standing in front of him, clutching the hem of her sweater.

Big whiskey colored eyes stared up at him as her long hair lazily drifted in the cold wind.

"Bunny Boy." Hinata whispered, her voice hoarse as tears spilled down her cheeks.

Momiji searched her face and nearly sobbed at the recognition that shone through.

"Heart Girl." He smiled through hiccuping breaths. "I missed you."

"I'm sorry for the wait." She laughed a choked, slightly hysterical but incredibly happy sound that made his heart burn with pure, suffocating joy.

"No. Welcome home." He threw his arms around the petite girl and held her close. The scent of cinnamon and sunflowers caressing his senses as he clung to the warmth, acceptance, love, and joy.

Suddenly his shirt was clutched to the point of ripping.

He stepped back, "Heart Girl? What's wrong?"

She looked at him sadly tears falling down as she pulled him into another embrace.

Momiji arms fell limp to his sides.

"I'm sorry." She stepped away as he fell to his knees, hands covering his face as his tears dripped down his pale cheeks.

"You aren't real, huh?" He asked hollowly.

The brunette stared down at him, silent.

"I haven't seen the spot in years but it can't look the same."

A tear traveled down her frail cheek.

"You can't have suddenly remembered me."

Another tear rolled down.

"I hugged you but didn't turn into a rabbit."

They fell to the soil, turning it a dark brown.

He looked up again and suddenly she wasn't Hinata Hayashi, 17 years old, with long brunette locks, shy and closed off, no memory from her time with everyone who cared for her.

She was Hinata Honda, 14 years old, short brown waves, sarcastic and expressive, carved and molded by years of love and joy.

She held out her delicate hand, he took it hesitantly, scared that if he touched her, she would disappear, as she lifted him up he was reminded of how small she used to be.

Hinata Hayashi stood at his shoulder but Hinata Honda stood at his stomach. She looked up at him and smiled before punching him straight in his gut.

He doubled over, coughing and spluttering in bewilderment.

"W-What?"

"Stop looking at me as if I'm dead." She said bluntly.

"I'm not-"