three

I looked at my reflection in the full length mirror. I think I looked okay. I had worn a white off shoulder blouse with dark denim jeans. I doubt that the dinner would be a formal one and just opted for jeans instead of shorts as it was a safer option.

My heart was beating faster than usual. I took a deep breath before making my way to the dining room where from the chatter, I could guess that all the guests had arrived.

My mother smiled to me from the table when I walked into the room. "This is my daughter, Xael," she introduced when I walked up to her. I politely bowed my head to greet the guests. "Hello, you can call me Kate," a woman who seemed to be in her forties stood up and shook my hand. She must be Mrs Ford. "Jason," Mr Ford introduced himself and shook my hand next.

My eyes travelled to the right and landed on warm brown ones. "Ethan," he shook my hand last, with a smirk.

Mom was right. He was good looking. Very good looking. Ethan's dark hair was swept to the left messily. He had a sharp jawline; dark eyes that shrunk a little when he smiled; perfect pink lips which made me sigh with envy. Not to mention his row of straight, white teeth when he smiled. I quickly took my eyes off him before he could realize that I was staring.

After taking my seat opposite Ethan, Faith, our housekeeper began to bring in plates of food from the kitchen. The food was pretty delicious (or like Dora the Explorer would say: delicioso) but I felt uncomfortable throughout the whole dinner as I felt a pair of eyes on me. I tried to ignore Ethan's staring but I couldn't.

Feeling the urge to escape his constant stares, I excused myself to go the toilet. After I was done, I was about to return to the dining room, when i got stopped by someone.

"Ethan?" I voiced out uncertainly as he inched closer to me trapping me between the walls. "The arranged marriage, call it off," he told me in a low voice, rather dangerously too. "Do you think I want to be in an arranged marriage? I can't do anything about it," I said bravely after finding my voice.

We had a long stare down, neither of us wanting to back down but to be honest, his stare intimidated me and deep down, I was trembling a little. "Fine. Don't blame me when things don't do your way," Ethan said in his low voice again and backed away, walking off in the direction of the dining room.

I was left alone with my racing heart. Sweet? I scoffed to myself. Ethan is the exact opposite of sweet. I have to marry someone like that?

"Honey, what's taking you so long? Dessert's serving," my mom said when she saw me catching my breath while leaning on the wall. "Oh yes, okay," I muttered out before making my way back to the dining room.

When dinner was over, both our families had a talk in the living room. What did you think we talked about?

That's right. The arranged marriage. I was hoping that the Mr and Mrs Ford would find that the idea of an arranged marriage ridiculous and call it off, but my hopes went down the drain when both Ethan's and my parents started to discuss about our marriage enthusiastically.

"Xael dear, what's got you frowning?" My mom asked when she saw my face and I was about to shake my head when I saw Ethan give me a look that seemed to ask me to say something. "I...I don't want an arranged marriage," I voiced out the thoughts in my mind.

I know that I said I accepted my fate, but what I originally thought was a marriage with a nice guy, not someone like Ethan.

My mom frowned and was about to say something when Ethan said, "me too. I don't want an arranged marriage as well." Upon hearing that, frowns appeared on both our parents' faces.

"Ok, how about this. Let's draw up a marriage contract," Mrs Ford suggested and my mom's eyes lit up when she heard that. "Yes, you two have to be married for a year. If you don't develop feelings for one another after a year..." My mom started but stopped to let the rest of the adults (the parents) continue the sentence.

"We'll allow you guys to divorce," Mr Ford continued. Both Ethan and my eyebrows rose up. That's pretty easy, we can just stay away from each other and do whatever we wanted for that one year and after that, just—

"However, you guys have to stay together," my father added. Okay...i think i can tolerate living under the same roof as him, as long as we do not need to sleep together in the same r—

"In the same room," Mr Ford said.

"And attend the same school," my father added.

... I think my plans just got ruined.