Chapter 12

Chapter 12

"Come on, you have to go with me!"

I continued walking out of the school building with Chloe practically hanging off of me. The bright sun lit up the entire parking lot, glinting off of the tops of cars and windshields. I blinked, but continued walking. I finally made it through the whole week, and I think things were going back to normal. Mr. Taylor still gave me those looks every now and again, but he treated me like a teacher should treat a student.

"I said no, Chloe," I told her, trying to shake her off.

"But I have no one to go with!" she protested. "Daniel is going with Hunter!"

"He is?" I asked, a little surprised.

"Mh-mmm," she hummed. "Come on, please? It's supposed to be a really cool party. Please?"

I let out a sigh, feeling defeated. "Alright, fine."

"Really?" she exclaimed. I nodded and she hugged me tightly, saying thank you more times than I could count. "Yeah, yeah. I'll pick you up at seven, okay?"

"Sounds great! Wear something sexy, too," she said. "A sweatshirt and hoodie won't do this time."

"I don't have anything sexy," I sighed.

"Make something sexy," she said, climbing into my car. I got in as well and started it up, then drove out of the parking lot arguing with Chloe about what 'making something sexy' meant.

~

"I think you look great," she commented as we walked up the sidewalk to the party. Music was blasting and there were lights shining from the huge windows in the front. A sign on the door said 'Come In!', so Chloe opened up the door immediately. The music got louder the more she opened the door.

"I can't believe we're here," I said. I looked down at what I was wearing. Or rather, what I wasn't wearing. I had short denim shorts on with a low cut tank top. It wasn't what I normally wore, so I was a bit uncomfortable. Chloe grabbed my wrist and pulled me into the loud house.

"Come on, we're going to have a good time tonight. It's Friday, after all!" she shouted. I closed the door behind me and followed her to what I assumed to be the living room. I looked around, surprised at what I saw. It wasn't like in the movies where everyone was drunk, passing around red plastic cups with beer, couples making out in the strangest places throughout the house- although there was one couple kissing on the sofa- or where there were people passing around a joint in the kitchen.

No, this party was civilized. Everyone that was here I knew from school, and they were all talking amongst each other. There were red plastic cups filled with some sort of beverage, but I doubted it was beer. There was a table of snacks at one end of the room next to a door that I assumed led to the kitchen. I was actually pleased that I decided to come to the party.

"Hey stranger."

I jumped and spun around to see Hunter and Daniel standing behind Chloe and I. I smiled and wrapped my arms around Hunter, giving him a passionate kiss. He responded by wrapping his arms around my waist and kissing back. I pulled back and breathed deeply. "Hi."

"I'm glad you came tonight," he said.

"Me too," I agreed. He looked down for a moment and chuckled ever so slightly. I saw his cheeks grown red for a moment, and I blushed, embarrassed. Hunter had never seen me wear a low-cut tank top.

"That's... new," he commented.

"Eyes up here, boy," I said, letting go of him. He didn't exactly let go of me. He moved his hands from my waist to my hand and entwined his fingers with mine. I gently squeezed back and pulled him back over to Chloe, who was talking to Hannah, some junior in her art class. Daniel followed and it was like Chloe had sensed him coming, because her head snapped over to where we were standing. She turned back to Hannah and told her bye, then hurried over to us.