028

Twenty-Eight | Beauty And The Ball

A/N - This is one of my favourite chapters.

My eyes fluttered open as I seemed to wake up, feeling someone set me down gently onto something soft, possibly a bed. I realised I must have cried myself to sleep on the sofa. I smiled as my eyes met the person who had carried me, "You came."

"Did you think I wouldn't?" Elijah asked, sitting in the space beside me.

"No." I smiled again, still half asleep.

"I can't stay long, I have family business to take care of." He told me.

My smile dropped and I took my gaze away from his, "Family... of course."

"What's wrong?" Elijah placed his fingers under my chin, gently turning my head to look at him. He rubbed his thumb against the dried tears on my cheek, "What happened?"

That simple question made the tears well up in my eyes again, "Everyone I know has family of some sort. A brother, a mother, a father, maybe even a cousin or an aunt. But me? What do I have?"

Elijah wiped the tears, "You have me, Cassie. I will never leave you." He held me close against his body and pressed a soft, reassuring kiss to my forehead, "You have me."

I glanced up at him, wanting to be held this way until I felt better, "Will you stay a while longer?"

"Of course." He pressed another kiss to my forehead before I rested my head on his chest and closed my eyes, listening to his heartbeat.

▂▂▂▂

My eyes stung as I opened them from the mix of brightness of the room and soreness from crying. I groaned and rolled over to the middle of the bed. When I realised that the bed was empty, I slowly sat up. Elijah was gone. I must've fallen asleep again before he left.

I noticed a small envelope on the pillow next to me. I picked it up, confused.

I could hear Elena talking to someone downstairs, "It was their mother, Esther, who was sealed in that coffin."

"As in the Original Witch?" Stefan asked. It was Elijah's mother.

"What? How is she even alive?" Damon questioned, "Thought her hybrid freak show of a son ripped her heart out a thousand years ago."

"I don't know. I'm guessing she has a couple connections in the witching community. Elijah said that she wants to live in peace with her family, including Klaus." Elena said. I looked at the envelope;

Cassandra Fell

was written in cursive across the front. I opened the envelope and pulled the card out;

Please join the Mikaelson Family, this evening at seven o'clock. For dancing, cocktails and celebration.

A smile grew on my face as I climbed out of bed. I noticed a long rectangle box sitting on my desk. I walked over to it and unwrapped the ribbon. I pulled the lid off and stared in awe at the beautiful gold dress inside. There was a small card laying on top of it;

I'll be waiting for a dance.

I smiled widely as I took the dress out of the box. I hung it up on my wardrobe, staring at the stunning details for a long while before making my way downstairs, still listening to their conversation, "She was supposed to be the weapon to help us kill Klaus."