Chapter 8

After what I had witnessed a few days before, sharing a tent with Hunter on the field trip was the last thing I wanted to do. Still, the trip was obligatory for all students, which was why I found myself dragging my suitcase across the camping site along with the rest of the class.

"Here we are," Hunter announced and ripped open the zipper that kept the tent shut.

We had arrived at the camping site about ten minutes ago and had been sent to move into our tents after a brief assembly.

The tent was red, so the dim light inside was tinted the same color. The tent itself wasn't very big; there was only room for our two sleeping mats and sleeping bags, and a little bit of space on both sides where we could put our backpacks.

"The last time I was in a place with this kind of red lighting there were more girls and they had considerably less clothes on. While I'm okay with guys too, I think it'd only be appropriate if you'd at least take off your shirt," Hunter said, flashing me a smirk while he sprawled lazily on his sleeping bag.

I slumped down on my sleeping mat next to his. There really wasn't much space separating them, no way to escape his lingering gaze. "Are you ever going to stop saying things like that?" I groaned and closed my eyes. "You do realize that I'm straight, right?"

Next to me Hunter chuckled lightly. "That's what I said too, until I kissed a boy and liked it."

"Well, I kissed a girl and I liked it."

"Okay, I get it," he laughed. "We can talk about something you're more comfortable with."

Was he actually being considerate? I opened my eyes in surprise to steal a quick look at him. He was laying next to me, propped up on one elbow while he watched me with an unreadable expression.

"About how much I hate insects for example," Hunter quickly proceeded as the silence dragged on for too long and pointed at the tent opening. "This door stays closed. I do not want to get eaten by bugs tonight."

"Are you serious?" I asked. "You're scared of bugs?"

"Yes," he replied impatiently. "Just don't open that unless you have to."

I nodded and tried not to laugh at the look of actual worry on his face.

Hunter rolled his eyes at me. "Oh, come on. There's nothing funny about that."

"Yeah, there is," I replied and struggled to keep a straight face.

"Cheeky, are we?" Hunter narrowed his eyes at me.

"Never."

"Sarcastic dumbass."

"That'd be me," I grinned.

Before he could answer, the sound of a whistle rang from across the camping site, along with Mr. Smith yelling for everybody to meet at the fireplace.

Hunter and I crawled out of the tent and headed for the fireplace. While he went to sit with his friends, I took my place next to Nate. Emily was sitting with her friends and greeted me with a smile and a short wave.

"Hey, man. How's it going with Hunter?" Nate asked.

"Well, I only had the urge to punch his incredibly straight teeth out around five times in the last few minutes, so that's good, I guess."

"His teeth are the only thing straight about him," Nate commented, grinning from ear to ear.

"Tell me about it."

In the next few minutes the area around the fireplace began to fill with students, until there was no more space on the benches and they had to sit on the grass. On the opposite side of the fireplace I could see Alexis sitting on Hunter's lap, her head resting comfortably against his shoulder. Sean was sitting on the ground in front of him with a grumpy expression.