e i g h t e e n || the party via nessa

Nessa's scouring the sorority house for her friend, her field of vision obscured by the band of fraternity boys parading the makeshift dance floor in the foyer. One of them tries to pull her into his promiscuity, but his eager hands are too slow compared to her sprinting pace. She makes her way to the backyard, which looks abandoned compared to the basement and main level.

It's been months since Nessa has stepped back onto campus. At all costs, she wants to avoid the regret gnawing away at her chest, but she was practically dragged to this party. She recognizes more of the faces at this party than she'd like to admit. Many of them are part of the graduating class this year.

On her way out the back door, she runs straight into someone. She nearly trips because of the collision, her athleticism apparently not including the ability to maintain her balance.

"I've been looking for you everywhere, Vy!" Nessa says when she glances up to see her best friend whom has a giddy smile spread across her face. Nessa wonders why she looks so happy. "You went to get the drinks and poof, you just disappeared!"

"I couldn't find you guys anywhere!" Vy responds, throwing her hands up. "I just came out here and waited for you to come find me after two rounds. Where's Bethany?"

"She left already."

Vy's still smiling as she rakes her fingers through her curly hair, the same shade and volume as Nessa's. The two have known each other since they were in high school, a strong bond linking them ever since. With the same matching dark brown hair and eyes, the two practically look like twin sisters, but despite all the circulation, they aren't even remotely related. Vy's actually one of the reasons why Nessa decided to go by Nessa instead of her full name.

Tonight, the only distinguishing factors between them are their outfits. Vy is wearing a maroon dress that complements her skin with black heels that could kill a man. She looks powerful, ferocity practically radiating off her body. On the other hand, Nessa is wearing a loose black dress with her worn out white vans. It doesn't make her stand out, but she's comfortable.

"Can we go now? I have to go into work early tomorrow and don't you have an exam?" Nessa asks, her eyes wandering to the full moon in the sky.

"After I show you someone," Vy says, guiding Nessa's head in the direction of a group of boys sitting on the patio. They're all doubled over in their chairs, laughing about something. Multiple cups of beer are scattered on the table they're sitting at.

"Which one?"

"The one in the black shirt and dark jeans," Vy replies, pointing discretely. "I did something crazy and I gave him my number tonight. Isn't he cute?"

Nessa's eyes the boy sporting the tight black t-shirt and black jeans. Both of his arms are draped over the handles of the chair, his attention focused on the conversation they're all having. There's no denying that he's the most attractive out of his friends. Vy has always had good taste in boys. That and the greatest luck.

The boy she's talking about is recumbent on the lawn chair, his shoulders relaxed and his smile so easy that it's almost disarming. His curly hair is the shade of honey, and he's wearing a sleek pair of glasses that frame his face perfectly. The last thing Nessa notices about him is his white vans.

Her eyes slowly fall down to her own shoes as she says, "Yeah, Vy. He's really cute."