C.24~ An Ember In The Ashes

Once I pulled up to my house after my visit with Mae,  I was surprised to find Mrs. Morgan's car parked in my driveway. I parked the car behind Xavier's Mustang on the street and climbed out of my car. I could feel my heart start racing as millions of thoughts raced through my mind the closer I got to my front door.

Why was Mrs. Morgan here? It couldn't be anything about Mae, right? I had just come back from seeing her and she had been doing okay.

". . . you know I wouldn't ask this if I didn't have to, Xai." I recognized Mrs. Morgan's quiet voice as I walked through the front door.

"Mom, please. I'll work double time, I'll ask Dale for a raise. I'll get another job and. . ."

"Xaiver, I'm sorry. We can't afford the house and your sister has to be moved, you know I don't want to do this." I stood in the middle of the living room, the door still wide open behind me as I stared at Xaiver with his face buried in his hands at the table. Brice and my mom stood behind him, my brother's face expressionless.

"We can help." Brice said quietly, "We can help pay for the hospital bills and your rent. You could even stay here if you need too." My mom lifted her head and looked at him. He shrugged and smiled sheepishly.

"No, you don't need to. . ."

"He's right, Katie. If you need help, we'd be glad to help you guys out. Your son is helping raise Lily, it's the least we can do. I couldn't even imagine having my child in the hospital." My mom crossed the room and laid a hand on Mrs. Morgan's shoulder.

"Honey, we better get going. They're transferring Mae tonight. Thanks for the offer, Mary, I'll have to get back to you on that." I watched, helpless, as Xaiver forced himself out of the kitchen chair and finally lifted his head up to meet my eyes.

"Bea?" He mouthed my name but it didn't leave his mouth. Everyone else in the room finally seemed to realize I was there.

"How long. . ." Brice started, but I dropped my purse on the couch and shook my head at Xaiver.

"You're leaving, then? That's it? What about Lily?" I whispered. He took a step forward, his eyes wide.

"I'll still visit all the time. I'll be able to. . ."

"It's okay, you don't have to explain." I replied, "It doesn't matter to me anyway. There's no such thing as soul mates or Fate. Just go. Get out of here! I don't need you or your secrets anymore." I pointed at the door, internally wincing at every lie that left my mouth. Xaiver stood in front of his mother, his mouth hanging open.

"Bea, you don't mean that." He breathed out. I laughed coldly, trying not to let my voice crack.

"I do. Look, Xaiver you have a sister that needs you a lot more then I do right now," Lies, lies, "And I don't need you here anymore. Lily's almost seven months old, I can do it by myself." I could feel my eyes starting to sting as Xaiver took another step forward.

"Beatrice. . ." He started again, but I shook my head.

"No. Just go, Xaiver! Why won't you listen to me? There is no such thing as love, if there was my parents never would have left Brice and me in the middle of Central Park in a box. If love really existed I wouldn't feel as if my whole world was caving in because you're leaving me. Love shouldn't feel like this, it shouldn't hurt." I screamed, finally feeling tears escape my eyes. Xaiver grabbed my hand as he stopped in front of me, his eyes filled with such an intensity that I froze in place.

My mom and brother had disappeared, along with Mrs. Morgan sometime during our fight.

"That's bullshit. Love is full of pain. Love is the only thing in this world that makes it thrive, that makes people live! Bea, do you think I want to leave you? Leave Lily? I don't, I don't." He shook his head, and for a second I felt as if we were back in the hospital room the first night I met Mae, the first and only time I had seen Xaiver break.