C.25~ Miracles

"No physical activity for at least a month. Are we clear?" The doctor had asked Mae, to which she had only started crying in response to.

"We'll make sure she doesn't do anything." Xaiver had assured the doctor, still holding Mae against him. I had been a mess, about as bad as Mae. I could barely get a word out without my voice cracking or crying tears of joy.

Now we sat in front of my house, Mae sitting on the front step of my porch, smiling down at Lily. It had only been a week since she got out of the hospital, and Xaiver had kept her in the house the whole time, saying she needed to rest. She finally forced him to drive her here so she could play with Lily.

Nobody could actually explain what happened to the cancer, not scientifically anyway. The doctors and our parents had all tried to come up with some logical explanation, but came up empty handed.

Then there was me, still reeling over the fact that my prayer had worked. That all those cheesy movies weren't crap, that they actually had some truth to them.

"She looks so happy." Xaiver whispered, crossing his arms over his chest as he glanced over his shoulder at his little sister. I nodded in agreement.

"I would be too." I finally responded, "She's finally able to live like a normal girl." I whispered. He looked down at the sidewalk beside us, letting out a heavy sigh.

"You don't think think it'll come back, do you?" He asked, genuine curiosity shining in his eyes. I knew he wanted me to tell the truth, and I did.

"No. It won't come back, Xaiver." He smiled at my response and wrapped his arm around me.

"There you are!" I recognized Rachel's voice immediately. She was running toward us, her blonde hair flying behind her head like a flame.

"I've been trying to get a hold of you all day. Explain yourself." She snapped, pointing her finger in my face, "Oh, hey Xaiver." She waved shyly at him. I rolled my eyes and pointed toward my house.

"My phone is dead and. . ."

"And Homecoming is in a few weeks. They're doing it a little earlier

this year so they can save money or something like that." She cut me off, still smiling shyly at Xaiver.

"You said you'd go dress shopping with me." She growled, finally turning back toward me.

"I know, I know. But Mae just got out of the hospital and we've been spending time with her." I said, trying to act as innocent as possible. I have absolutely no idea what my brother did to this poor girl, but she was set on having the perfect Homecoming dress and night.

"Okay. So bring her with us. We can find some cute little dress for her. You wouldn't mind that, would you, Xaiver?" Rachel asked, smiling sweetly at him. He shrugged, glancing over at his sister who was still playing with Lily.

"No. I guess not. She'd definitely like some girl time. I think she's getting really tired of me. When are you going?" He threw his arm over my shoulder, earning a suspiciously creepy grin out of Rachel.

"Tomorrow night. We'll just have a girls night in general." Xaiver held up a finger and checked the calendar on his phone.

"I have work tomorrow night. . ."

"He's a stripper." I told Rachel, trying my best not to start laughing. She cocked an eyebrow and eyed him up and down.

"Okay. How much do you charge for a lap dance, boy?" That was it for me. I started laughing so much that I started snorting. Rachel was sending me a weird look, Xaiver just looked uncomfortable.