Chapter 45

For several seconds, no one moved in the room, all eyes locked on Kallai. Then Sevilen took a step forward, his expression neutral as he regarded the General. “As you can see, their power, though expressed in a different manner, is still quite powerful. What you’ve seen is only a fraction of their abilities. Of course, since they’re both young, they don’t have perfect control over it yet, and are prone to…overdramatics when upset. Which is no less than what our own Magi can do when their emotions take hold,” he said, then smiled. “I remember a few incidents my classmates started that were on the same scale as what these two have shown.”

            “I-I don’t think any of our student Magi have set anyone on fire!” The General snapped.

            Kallai snorted. “No, what they do is much worse.”

            Sevilen gave her a look, making her turn away, crossing her arms over her chest as she did so. He shook his head and turned his attention back to the General. “No, but I remember someone melting several trees with acid spells. And someone else sinking half the class into the stone floor, trapping them there. But the capers of youth are not what we’re here to discuss. We’re here to speak of this new kind of magic, of what it may do for us, of the breakthroughs it could create.”

            “Only if these youth don’t kill us first,” said one of the Councillors, as the rest of the crowd approached the broken line of soldiers.

            “They haven’t harmed anyone as of yet, other than perhaps a bruise or two from our brief flight. And that after great provocation. I’m sure the headmaster,” here Sevilen nodded at the woman who flinched under his gaze. “Can tell you the true extent to which my cousin was pushed, and how it has only been recently that she has pushed back. The abuse by her fellows arose from her apparent inability to be able to do magic. But as you can see, now that she’s been properly identified as an elemental mage, and has been trained as such, she is quite capable. Kallai is proof enough that this magic is in our bloodlines, that there are very likely more who are capable of learning to use this kind of power. Just think of the advances that could be made with just people with a fresh perspective coming at a problem!”

            “And how do we know that she is of true Magi stock?” asked one of the merchants, eyes glinting in a pale face.

            “Because I am Kallai of House Magan. Our line is well known for refusing to marry anyone of a non-Magi background,” she replied, glaring.

            The Magi mixed in with the crowd nodded, while Sevilen shrugged. “I believe that habit, and the careful documentation of our bloodline and care that has been taken to keep the family healthy and full of magic, is well known to most of the country. Kallai is a full-blooded Magan, as well as an elemental mage.”

            “But how do we know she’s not some kind of strange aberration? And where did the boy come from?” asked one of the other Councillors.

            “I can’t imagine a type of magic, something that clearly comes in different types and has been around before we have records of, would only appear in one person, just once in history. I’m certain there are elementals mages who just simply haven’t been identified, within the Magi as well as the general populace, I’m sure. As for the boy, you’d have to ask Kallai about that, and then, with your treatment of her so far, I’m not sure she’ll answer.”

            Kallai jerked her chin up, face still warm with magic. “I’ll tell them. Shuu was turned into a statue by his father, an earth mage. He did it to protect him from the coming war, because Shuu wanted to fight, but his parents thought he was too young. I woke him up somehow I think. He’s been trying to find his way home ever since, but apparently, it’s been gone for centuries, so he has nowhere left to go. That’s who you want locked up. Now who’s the monster?”

            Sevilen sighed. “Kallai,”

            She shook her head. “No. Shuu lost control briefly and now they’re treating him like he’s plague-ridden. I won’t have it! Not after everything he’s already been through. It’s too cruel! And he was there for me, when no one but you was. When the other students, future Magi, kept tormenting me, kept attacking me with spells because they knew I couldn’t defend myself. Shuu taught me that I had magic and how to protect myself. And because of that, I’m able to eat dinner without having to run, to be able to walk around school without slinking and hiding, and not have to visit the physiker’s almost weekly!”

            “That can’t…the students wouldn’t do that,” protested nearest Magi, his voice weak and his eyes wide.

            The look Kallai turned on him was full of scorn. “Go talk to Magi Althan, our physiker. He was the one who patched me up all the time. He’ll tell you the truth.”

            Sevilen coughed, regaining the crowd’s attention though a few people were still staring at Kallai in horror. “As you can see, being able to identify and train elemental mages will be beneficial to all of us. Letting that kind of talent and power go to waste is practically criminal, and an invitation to ruin. Especially since it is clearly already in our society, if hidden. Now, I think the rest of our discussions ought to be held at the other side of the room, both to avoid waking young Shuu, and because I don’t think Kallai needs to hear the rest of what we have to say. Is everyone in agreement?”

            While Kallai snorted, there were nods all around. Sevilen led the way back over again, trailing people like ducklings. The General hesitated for a moment, eyes on Kallai. She only held up a hand. He winced, then waved his soldiers off, leaving only two to stand beside her and Shuu, the rest following him as he stalked towards Sevilen.

            She ignored them, going back to stroking Shuu’s hair and praying that somehow, they all made it through this.