COME TO LIGHT

Sunday 7th of February 2016 

"Hello?" I grin, shuffling over to my windowsill touching the fading yellow petals of the flower Colton gave me.

''Hey Gem, what you doing?'' his calm voice came through the phone.

''I was getting ready.'' I say watching an older couple laugh and tease each other down the street.

''Oh I'm sorry, I just wanted to let you know I'm starting to build my tree hou...''

''That's great Colton! I know it will be amazing,'' I Interrupted him, excitedly gushing. "Thank you," Colton laughs out then states, ''so I told you I had some good news to tell you.'' I smile.

''I thought the tree house was the awesome news?'' I express confused seeing the couple slowly fade into the distance. Colton chuckles warmly, making a sweet chill run down my spine. ''That's an added bonus... I'll give you one guess.''

''Ok, what is it?'' I move to sit on my bed cover anticipating the question.

''I have to wear a uniform five days a week...'' I almost drop my phone widening my eyes. ''No way, you signed the papers!" I almost shout, falling back on my bed closing my eyes, hearing Colton shift over the phone.

''Yeah I was going to tell you yesterday but it totally spilled out of my mind." I blush and mumble, ''that's incredible Colton, hopefully you'll like school now that you're older.''

''I know I will,'' I heard someone shout his name, maybe Declan. ''Sorry Gem, I've got go I text you later. Bye beautiful.''

Once it hit two, a solid knock came from the front door. I'd just put Leo down for his nap when I heard mum answer it. I came out mum's room steadily. I knew who it is straight away. I shut my eyes letting out a low breath through my nose. You don't need to freak out Dawson, you just have to breath. He's not your dad. I let out a breath and walked over to meet Bradley.

Reaching the front room I spot him straight away.

His tall presence demanding attention. He had wide shoulders like a boxer. Bradley appears nothing like dad. He's in a plain black T-shirt, the same leather jacket he had on our first meeting, with mid washed blue jeans and a pair of running trainers I was jealous of. 

I wondered if he thought I'd do a runner again. "Hey," I awkwardly wave. My heart pounds as I wait for him to reply. I just kept staring at his shoes thinking they must've cost a lot of money.

''Look at me Dawson please.'' Bradley's strong voice asks smoothly. Very different to dad's tough voice. I was frozen just watching as his feet got closer and closer to me. Bradley smells of mint. Weird. I lift my head up and realise he was taller than dad as well. Woah.

Breathing in his fresh scent as well as his whole being. I notice that he stood tall calling out his authority. He had the same oval face shape as me with angular cheekbones, that rested below his/my eyes. Teal green which stood out more with his perfectly sharp eyebrow anyone would be jealous of.   

''It's great to meet you Dawson. I honestly didn't think you would have.'' Bradley smiles admitting, the left side of his mouth lifts first. He had wavy brown hair the same as dad's too but dad always keeps his short. We just stare at one enough in what seemed like shock.

After a couple of minutes of silence I shuffle my feet replying, ''I'm glad you could come Bradley, but aren't you early?" I add wandering the time, I turned to look at mum feeling her breath over my shoulder.

''Yes. My flight landed earlier than expected.'' Bradley responded. ''Oh, oh right,'' I glance around awkwardly. He must be tired then.

''Let's all go to the kitchen,'' mum said distracting me. We nod and walk into the kitchen, all taking a seat. Me sitting next to mum while Bradley sat across from us.