C.28~ Sometimes You Picture Me

When Xavier called me at two in the morning a few days later, I had no doubt in my mind that something was wrong.

"Xavier? What's going on?" I mumbled, rubbing the sleepiness from my eyes. I heard only silence on the other end until I finally heard Xavier curse under his breath.

"Shit, Bea. I need you." At any other time I would smile at the words, but the desperation in his voice took any warm and fuzzy feeling I had.

"Xai? What's wrong?" I asked, standing up and crossing my room.

"My mom." He hissed into the phone, "She's in the hospital." My eyes shot wide open.

Could this poor family not catch a break?

"At the hospital? Why? Is she okay?" I could feel my heart pick up speed as millions of thoughts rushed into my mind. Xavier couldn't lose his mom, it would destroy him.

"I don't know. The police just called me a few minutes ago, Mae's still asleep. I. . . can you meet me there?" I nodded, even know I knew he couldn't see me do it.

"Of course. I'll be there in twenty minutes." I set my phone on my bed before darting to my bathroom and slamming the door shut behind me.

***

"Xai! Is she hurt?" I choked out the minute I ran into the hospital. Mae was sprawled out across two chairs, her head resting on Xavier's lap. He was watching me, his eyes so dark that I was positive they had swallowed every emotion.

"I don't know. S. . . she said she was going out, and even that was odd for her. But I didn't want to pry or anything, so I just let her go. I shouldn't have. . ." I sat down in the empty seat on the opposite side of Mae, laying my head on his shoulder as I laced my fingers through is.

"It wasn't your fault. She's going to be fine." I said quietly, feeling his body relax a fraction.

I'd never met a person in my life that had been through as much as Xavier had. It was almost as if he were some kind of accident magnet.

"Mr. Morgan?" Xavier's head perked up and he gently pushed Mae's head off his lap and set it on his backpack.

"Is she okay? What happened?" He blurted, his eyes like black holes as

he stared at the middle aged doctor. I joined him after a second, wrapping my hands around his arm.

"It appears that she was beaten . . . and possibly raped. Her throat had bruises, as did her eyes and other parts of her neck. She lost a lot of blood, kid." The doctor wouldn't even look up at us as he spoke, it was almost as if he were afraid to face Xavier.

"Is she. . ." I tightened my grip on Xavier's arm as the doctor lifted his head.

"She's in critical condition, we don't plan on releasing her any time soon. Especially since we need to speak with the suspect." Xavier let out a frustrated growl and threw his hands in the air.

"Is she going to be okay?" He hissed. The doctor took a step back, obviously worried Xavier was going to attack him. I even stared at him in shock, I'd never seen this side of him before.

"I cannot say that, kid. I'm sorry." Then the doctor disappeared back down the hall, leaving a very pissed off Xavier to stare after him.

"Why me?" He whispered, "Why the does everything happen to me, Beatrice?" I winced at his use of my whole name. Before I could try and comfort him, he went on.

"It seems like no matter what I do, something bad always happens to me. First Kinsey, then my ass father, Mae, and now my mom. What did I do to deserve any of this?" He was holding my wrists in his hands, his grip so tight I was afraid he'd cut off my circulation.