CHAPTER FOURTEEN: A POET AT HEART

After so much shopping, Aidan wanted to puke out his breakfast. He was already regretting his decision to use Nathalie to test Kate; it was such a stupid plan anyway but it was working. The day before, he had heard everything and had enjoyed every minute of her discomfort but he had discovered one thing.

Kate would never admit to loving him because she was too moralistic for that. And by the way Kate had behaved yesterday, he was damned sure that she returned his feelings and had decided to confront her. The jealousy game was working but he could wait no longer. They had only two weeks and four days left and he had to take a decision as soon as possible.

But Kate had been nowhere to be seen that morning. Not even for breakfast. When he had politely broached the subject, he had learnt that she had gone out with her father. It was then he remembered she was supposed to be vetting the food arrangement as Judith had asked her yesterday.

Impatient, he paced on the alley of the garden waiting for her when he heard his name resonate in the castle. Which was not a trivial thing as the castle was quite big. Who the hell was looking for him just when he wanted to talk to Kate? As he made his way towards the castle, he felt his phone ring in his pocket and identified the caller as Ryce.

Swiping the screen from left to right, he picked up and before he had the time to greet a hello, Ryce was in a frenzied state.

“Where are you? I found something I need to show you now.”

“I’m in the garden,” he replied. “I’m coming inside the house,” he replied almost in front of the door but stopped as Ryce instructed him not to move as he will be joining him in the garden soon. Hell, he was not going to be able to bear another shocker; it had better be something positive.

On the edge, his eyes fixed the door and Ryce finally came to him in hurried steps heaving with effort. “I’ve been looking for you all over the house, dude!” he said breathlessly making his way towards him.

“What’s the matter?” Aidan asked him when he almost reached him.

“Guess what I found in one of her books?” he whispered to him and as he came closer, Aidan could now see that he was holding a paper in his hand.

Too impatient to play the guess game, he snatched it from him as soon as he was within reach and time stopped as he read what was in the paper. It was another poem. Although not addressed to him this time, he had the irrevocable confirmation that Kate had written it for him.

For all those years… I have loved you always

So deep, so true… Only to be left unloved in so many ways

Sometimes it seems so long ago…That everything appears in a blur

Sometimes, the memories around…Are so vivid that I still suffer

Sometimes, I wish you could not live without me…Sometimes, I wish I could live without you

Sometimes, I wish I didn’t love you so…Sometimes, I wish you did love me true

You haven’t realized my worth...And it makes the pain invincible

I feel like a ghost….Haunting you, yet invisible

It seems to be part of my fate…You were never destined to be my mate

I still can’t take it….Just have to live with it

Oh hell, what wonderful words! His heart was a mass of emotions as he re-read the words over and over again. It was the same intense feelings as before; that someone loved him so much that it made him want to believe in love. So many emotions could not be fake. And it was Kate after all his secret admirer.